No announcement yet.

Consular processing without attourney ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consular processing without attourney ?

Hello,
    My wife currently lives in the US with an H1B visa. The greencard process is running. I am included as a spouse as a dependent in the application. But I live in Germany, so consular processing should be done for me.
    My question: is it advisable to hire a lawyer for consular processing or is it a waste of money? My previous experience with the American Consulate is applying for an H4 visa. I did that without a lawyer, it was not that hard.

Consular processing

Originally posted by Werni0606 View Post
    Hello,
    My wife currently lives in the US with an H1B visa. The greencard process is running. I am included as a spouse as a dependent in the application. But I live in Germany, so consular processing should be done for me.
    My question: is it advisable to hire a lawyer for consular processing or is it a waste of money? My previous experience with the American Consulate is applying for an H4 visa. I did that without a lawyer, it was not that hard.
    Of course anybody can do it themselves if they are diligent enough and can take some efforts to go through the instructions on how to do it . There is no legal requirement of an attorney for any immigrant /non immigrant filings in US or Canada. I have done besides US H4 ,H4EAD, Canadian PR and citizenship forms successfully multiple times.
    (nivarp)

Comment

You should consider retaining an attorney if you have a criminal history or history of immigration violations

Otherwise, it is just a matter of reading instructions, filling out forms, and obtaining supporting documentation (which no attorney will help you with)

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
        You should consider retaining an attorney if you have a criminal history or history of immigration violations

Otherwise, it is just a matter of reading instructions, filling out forms, and obtaining supporting documentation (which no attorney will help you with)
        Yes that is correct.If there are problems in ones immigration records better to consult an attorney

Comment

Originally posted by Werni0606 View Post
          Hello,

I think we have a similar situation. I was on H1B, got married before my adjustment of status and recently got my Green card. I am now trying to bring my spouse in the US. I just submitted an I-824(Follow to join benefits) today without using a lawyer and it is pretty straight forward.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X