HELP: Can I change visa status from J-2 to E-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: Can I change visa status from J-2 to E-3

I am currently in the U.S. on an J-2 visa (there is no 2 year residency requirement associated with it). I have applied for my work authorization, but its taking a long time to process. I am worried that I will offered a job prior to receiving my work authorization, which can take up to five months.

Is it possible for me to leave the country and apply for an E-3 visa (I am Australian and meet the other requirements of an E-3) instead of waiting for my work authorization to be approved on my J-2 visa?

I.e. is it okay to change my visa class from a J-2 to an E-3?

Thanks in advance for your assistance/wisdom!

Originally posted by Joey86 View Post
    I am currently in the U.S. on an J-2 visa (there is no 2 year residency requirement associated with it). I have applied for my work authorization, but its taking a long time to process. I am worried that I will offered a job prior to receiving my work authorization, which can take up to five months.

Is it possible for me to leave the country and apply for an E-3 visa (I am Australian and meet the other requirements of an E-3) instead of waiting for my work authorization to be approved on my J-2 visa?

I.e. is it okay to change my visa class from a J-2 to an E-3?

Thanks in advance for your assistance/wisdom!
    Yes.

(Note: This isn't "Change of Status"; that refers to changing from one nonimmigrant status to another in the US. Rather, you are entering on a different visa.)

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X