Drivers license swap from other country after landing as immigrant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers license swap from other country after landing as immigrant

I saw that some states have agreements with other countries to exchange drivers licenses for US ones. For e.g. NY does that but I'll be moving to California which doesn't do that.
    I'm wondering if I could land in NY, exchange my license with an NY address and than go to California a couple weeks later and exchange it for the California license to not take all the tests for both car and motorcycle license again?

Originally posted by rainer View Post
    I saw that some states have agreements with other countries to exchange drivers licenses for US ones. For e.g. NY does that but I'll be moving to California which doesn't do that.
    I'm wondering if I could land in NY, exchange my license with an NY address and than go to California a couple weeks later and exchange it for the California license to not take all the tests for both car and motorcycle license again?
    No state "exchanges" international driver's licenses for a US driver's license. You may drive in the US with an international driver's license for 6 months - I think. Then, most state's will have you take a road rules test (computerized exam) and the road skills test (driving skills test). The advantage of having an International driver's license is that you get to skip getting a learning permit.

Comment

The time period ranges from 0 - 12 months depending on the state.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X