Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage-based 1485 Interview -- Not sure what decision was made

Hi,

We had our I130/I485 interview on 6/27 in the morning. Background: We've been together for almost 4 years and have been married for a little over 1 year. We're both 24 and met in college.

We had to wait two hours before being seen for what felt like a really short amount of time (10-15 minutes?).

The IO took our passports and birth certificate of my husband (the petitioner). We were asked the standard yes/no questions and a few basic questions BUT I stumbled on two questions.
    1. My husband has two last names and I accidentally flipped the order of them
    2. When asked about address, I accidentally gave my parents address (I got confused because we were on the topic of my parents previously aka have you met each others parents). But then corrected myself to our current address. When asked about why the mix up occurred, we said it was because I used to give my banks my parents address as a permanent residency before moving in with my husband last year. (a stupid mistake, I know, but I was stumbling in the moment). I'm worried this didn't come across the right way..

We were only asked a handful of questions, nothing too in depth. BUT the really odd part was that we weren't asked for any of our evidence. She handed us the notice of interview results which was checked for "being held for review".

At the end, she did say that she "could see our relationship from the file" and that we would have to wait for our results in the mail. She said that we may be asked to provide more evidence but we wouldn't have to come back here. She also said we could track the results online, and may hear back end of day. She didn't outright say we were approved and she didn't say she was recommending us for approval.

A few of our concerns:
    1. I know I fumbled on the two questions before correcting myself. If this created any cause for concern, why wouldn't she just ask to see any of our supporting evidence that we had brought with us?
    2. She didn't ask for any evidence so we're worried we'll have to do a stokes interview which is even more time consuming and tough..but we're confused because she did say we wouldn't have to come back. Not sure what to make of this..
    3. She said end of day but our online status hasn't changed. I know this seems quick and it usually take weeks/months. Do you think this was a good sign of being approved? (why even say 'end of day' at all and get our hopes up).

Anyone have any similar experiences? I haven't been reading anything positive for people who weren't asked for evidence.
    Last edited by arrb92114; 06-28-2018, 01:41 PM.

Originally posted by arrb92114 View Post
    Hi,

We had our I130/I485 interview on 6/27 in the morning. Background: We've been together for almost 4 years and have been married for a little over 1 year. We're both 24 and met in college.

We had to wait two hours before being seen for what felt like a really short amount of time (10-15 minutes?).

The IO took our passports and birth certificate of my husband (the petitioner). We were asked the standard yes/no questions and a few basic questions BUT I stumbled on two questions.
    1. My husband has two last names and I accidentally flipped the order of them
    2. When asked about address, I accidentally gave my parents address (I got confused because we were on the topic of my parents previously aka have you met each others parents). But then corrected myself to our current address. When asked about why the mix up occurred, we said it was because I used to give my banks my parents address as a permanent residency before moving in with my husband last year. (a stupid mistake, I know, but I was stumbling in the moment). I'm worried this didn't come across the right way..

We were only asked a handful of questions, nothing too in depth. BUT the really odd part was that we weren't asked for any of our evidence. She handed us the notice of interview results which was checked for "being held for review".

At the end, she did say that she "could see our relationship from the file" and that we would have to wait for our results in the mail. She said that we may be asked to provide more evidence but we wouldn't have to come back here. She also said we could track the results online, and may hear back end of day. She didn't outright say we were approved and she didn't say she was recommending us for approval.

A few of our concerns:
    1. I know I fumbled on the two questions before correcting myself. If this created any cause for concern, why wouldn't she just ask to see any of our supporting evidence that we had brought with us?
    2. She didn't ask for any evidence so we're worried we'll have to do a stokes interview which is even more time consuming and tough..but we're confused because she did say we wouldn't have to come back. Not sure what to make of this..
    3. She said end of day but our online status hasn't changed. I know this seems quick and it usually take weeks/months. Do you think this was a good sign of being approved? (why even say 'end of day' at all and get our hopes up).

Anyone have any similar experiences? I haven't been reading anything positive for people who weren't asked for evidence.
    My interview was a little bit of rough and rushed. It was weird but I had so many evidences thad I did not even show to the IO. What I can say is showing your evidences is definitely up to you. If they give a reason for NOID (God forbid) and say there was not enough evidence, you have no right to say that yes there was but you did not ask for them. It is your responsibility to show them. How? Maybe kindly you could have asked the IO if he/she would want to see some more papers.

In my interview, it was very strange. I have never heard of anybody answered 50-60 questions on the paper the very first minutes of the interview.

Let me tell you what happened. My name was called. Me, my husband and our lawyer went to the IO. He took us to his room and we were sworn before sit down. Then after 5 seconds, he printed out 6 pages, 3 for me and 3 for my husband. Gave us and said ?I want one of you guys to step out and answer the questions on the papers while I am looking at your documents. I am very late.? I told my husband to go out of the room, so I could give the IO our joint documents and photos. I started to answer the questions and he asked for our joint documents. While I was writing and thinking about what my husband would write on his papers, the IO was taking what he needs in our documents. Then he asked for photos and started to look at the photos while my husband was still outside. It was kind of an interview between me and the IO. Long story short, when IO was checking our answers, we had around 5-6 different answers. The most funny and dummy thing my husband did was about the mobile carrier. We are using T-Mobile but he wrote Verizon even he is paying the bills and seeing the statements or even it says on his phone... he was so anxious and had said Verizon by mistake. Luckily the IO thought it was funny and he was smiling while I was arguing with my husband in front of him lol

Other than that, I had more papers to show but he did not want to see them, I kindly asked him if he would want to see more papers. Also the other thing I can say is he didn?t ask me any questions about joint documents and photos. I actually explained to him and gave short explanations about the papers and photos. Otherwise he was just looking at them and getting what he wanted to collect. I wanted him to see I know everything, I know all the people on the photos...

I think you should have told the IO and ask him/her that you have more documents to show if s/he would want to see. Hopefully you will get your approval notices soon, I was thinking just like you before I got my approvals as it was rough but later I saw letters on Informed Delivery of USPS. It helps you to see what mails you will get before they reach to your place. Good luck. Waiting your good news 🙏🏻
    PD: 08/11/2017
    EAD and SSN: November 2017
    Interview date: 06/27/2018
    I-130 and I-485 approved: 07/02/2018
    GC in hand: 07/05/2018

Comment

I am very interested to hear some updates on this case, it's been a couple of weeks now. Hopefully they come back and update us.
      Marriage AOS - 2018

4-10: Sent to Chicago Lockbox
      4-12: Arrived in Chicago
      4-14: Picked up by USCIS
      4-19: Email & text notifications received
      4-23: I-797 Receipts received
      4-27: Biometrics notice received
      5-10: Courtesy letter for I-693
      5-11: Biometrics completed
      6-04: Interview scheduled
      6-09: Received interview letter
      7-10: Interview complete & approved, status change to New Card being Produced
      7-13: Card was Mailed
      7-18: Green Card in Hand

Comment

not a problem

i don't see any problem with the interview, the errors that happened doesn't mean your relationship is a sham, they look beyond what you think, the officer obviously might not have the authorization to consider you for approval, they usually have a supervisor, best of luck

Comment

OP Update

We got the online status change a week after our interview!

We were really nervous because we got the paper saying a decision wasnt made yet, and we weren't asked for any evidence before this decision was made.

& We did "force" some evidence in front of the IO but this was AFTER we got the notice (so it was too late at that point)..

Regardless, we got approved without answering any in-depth questions and without showing the IO any evidence documents.

Comment

Originally posted by arrb92114 View Post
            We got the online status change a week after our interview!

We were really nervous because we got the paper saying a decision wasnt made yet, and we weren't asked for any evidence before this decision was made.

& We did "force" some evidence in front of the IO but this was AFTER we got the notice (so it was too late at that point)..

Regardless, we got approved without answering any in-depth questions and without showing the IO any evidence documents.
            Congratulations. glad to hear the positive news. I am nervous for my interview on sep4th. anxiously waiting.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X