Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My spouse and I live in the same house with her family

Hello everyone,

I'm an student who was on F-1 visa (still valid). I met a US-citizen girl in my school. We dated for about 1 year and decided to get married. She is currently living with her family which includes her parents and an older sister, and she wanted me to move in to stay with her. I've read a lot of post saying that I should submit to USCIS of proof that she and I live together such as lease, utility bill,... but in this situation we are living with her family, and the lease and the utility bills are on her parents' names. So my question is : does it make a difference if she and I are the ones to sign the lease and pay the utility instead of the parents? If yes, should we transfer the lease to our names or should we move out and live separately? (by living with her parents we can save a lot of money which can be used for our future's expenses).

lease

you don't have to get your own place just so you can have a lease together. the items listed are things you can use to prove you live together. you could instead show a letter from the parents saying that you are living with them. you can show a phone bill with both of you on it. find other ways to prove you live together and that your relationship is real.
    This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by jakelong159 View Post
      Hello everyone,

I'm an student who was on F-1 visa (still valid). I met a US-citizen girl in my school. We dated for about 1 year and decided to get married. She is currently living with her family which includes her parents and an older sister, and she wanted me to move in to stay with her. I've read a lot of post saying that I should submit to USCIS of proof that she and I live together such as lease, utility bill,... but in this situation we are living with her family, and the lease and the utility bills are on her parents' names. So my question is : does it make a difference if she and I are the ones to sign the lease and pay the utility instead of the parents? If yes, should we transfer the lease to our names or should we move out and live separately? (by living with her parents we can save a lot of money which can be used for our future's expenses).
      If you do not have a lease, you have to get creative. You can get a notarized affidavit of residence. Here's a screenshot of it. See below. People use this document to get a driver's license when they're staying with someone or they're homeless.

Here is a thread that includes resources and experiences to help you put together your initial AOS package, and to prepare for your interview. https://www.immihelp.com/forum/showt...interview-tips
      In your case, you want to gather evidence of bona fide marriage AS IF you were pursuing a K-1 visa; i.e., a fiance visa. They have to show evidence that they have met in person within the past two years before filing for the visa. Since you are adjusting status, and won't have your own place and you're young and really, no one expects you to have a 401K, life insurance, etc, you can focus on showing evidence of your relationship from the day you met until right before you file.

Why do it that way? Well, otherwise, it may look to USCIS like you JUST MET and then filed right away. So to appease their minds, just show every whatever you may have since you met. You can put together a relationship timeline of key events in your relationship. Then gather evidence around that timeline. For each event on your list, put together the following on a sheet of paper: receipts + image of method of payment (check card/credit card) + pictures + text messages related to the occasion. You get the idea.

You should get an advanced health care directive. If you don't know what it is, google it. Basically, you designate each other to make health care decisions for each other in the event that one of you is not able to do so. You're a young couple. Believe me, you do not want her parents overriding her end of life wishes -which you may know about- just because you are young and a new marriage.

You want to present as much evidence as you can. The first thought that comes to a cynical mind is that this may be a case of a friend doing another friend a favor to be able to stay in the US.

That thread I listed above can give you a lot of ideas of how to put together evidence. I listed 10 key links on it. Focus on emulating the evidence listed on the table of contents on #3 and #9. List your evidence using full sentences. You have to tell USCIS exactly what your evidence means, OK? Don't just throw papers at them. That has backfired several times for several folks. So spend the time writing those complete sentences. Most cases are adjudicated behind closed doors and usually AFTER your interview, so in your absence, the Table of Contents that explains what your evidence means can speak FOR YOU.

All evidence and supporting documents are required to be included at the time of your filing. Otherwise USCIS may issue a Notice of Intent to deny. See the I-130 instructions screenshot below the affidavit of residence. Page 3 of 12 and page 7 of 12. Again, you will have to get creative. Read through the two table of contents I recommended. There are plenty of ideas there.
      Attached Files

Comment

Difficult situation... in my opinion it`s better for you to move out and live separately. First of all, life with your parents - just trust me, very soon will get bored and you`ll want more freedom. Secondly, now you think it's a good idea to save money, but what`ll happen in a year or two?.. you might not go anywhere at all. It just seems so now that you`ll save money, in the end you`ll start spending them. After all, you`ll always face up situations like traveling, shopping, etc. Rent a house now, arrange it to your liking . Try living separately some time and find out how strong your relationships are before you even think about getting married, but not until then.
        Last edited by 163onmynec; 01-31-2022, 04:01 AM.

Comment

And what have you decided to do?

Comment

There are obvious reasons why it would be a good decision to stay with her parents if they don't mind. People often underestimate the expenses one has when one moves out and lives alone. This money could be saved or invested to generate more money and use later for BUYING your own house, for example. I remember having this discussion with a representative from Mortgage Broker Nottingham as I was eager to move out as soon as possible and be independent. He convinced me that it's not a wise decision from a financial perspective.
            Last edited by hristopushing; 07-13-2022, 03:20 PM.

Comment

How did you solve the situation actually?

Comment

The situation seems to be difficult, but I'm sure there is a solution. We had a similar problem and stayed with my parents for several months. Now we are going to build a house. Of course, I've already checked several home warranties. A 10-year builder's warranty provides structural warranty coverage for new construction homes for a period of up to 10 years. Many builder warranties also include workmanship and distribution systems coverage for a period of time as well.
                Last edited by BNic; 05-22-2023, 02:08 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X