Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expired i-551 - outside the usa for more than two years (genuine)- suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expired i-551 - outside the usa for more than two years (genuine)- suggestions please

Hi Guys,
    I need some guidance for my case. My mother is a Green Card Holder. Based on that, I entered the US in December 14, 2015, upon getting my immigrant visa (FX2). And I came out of the US on January 24, 2016 in order to finish my Final exams of my last semester of my Master degree, thinking that I could come back as soon as I get the Green Card by mail (which my mother said she would mail me once she gets it). Before my last semester was over, my visa got expired on April 24, 2016.

Apparently, I had no idea about what next to do. When I was still there and when I came back to finish my Final exams, I ended up waiting for the Green Card to come through mail in order to get back into the US.

Time just passed by and nobody helped me find out or even my mother was not aware of how to deal with this case.

Now after more than two years, my mother received a letter (March-2018) by mail, from the USCIS, stating that my Visa Packet was lost and the USCIS had called me to take my biometrics for the Green Card. But I am stuck outside and my mother suggested that I get a Non-immigrant Visa (Tourist) to enter the US, to proceed with the biometrics.

Eventually, when I went to the Interview at the Consulate for the Tourist Visa, I was informed that I do not qualify for the Non-immigrant visa as I was already an immigrant. Further, I was suggested to contact the USCIS.

It is only upon their suggestions that I now read all the info available online. Also, I came to know that the I-551 is nothing but a Temporary Green Card issued for One Year.

Now my situation is like, My I-551 is expired and over two years. And only now I know that there is a Visa Called Returning Resident Visa.

In this scenario, can I apply for A Returning Resident Visa and explain the above case? Would it help in anyway?

I feel so confused and stuck.. Pls help out..!

Originally posted by sunshine.beauty View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I need some guidance for my case. My mother is a Green Card Holder. Based on that, I entered the US in December 14, 2015, upon getting my immigrant visa (FX2). And I came out of the US on January 24, 2016 in order to finish my Final exams of my last semester of my Master degree, thinking that I could come back as soon as I get the Green Card by mail (which my mother said she would mail me once she gets it). Before my last semester was over, my visa got expired on April 24, 2016.

Apparently, I had no idea about what next to do. When I was still there and when I came back to finish my Final exams, I ended up waiting for the Green Card to come through mail in order to get back into the US.

Time just passed by and nobody helped me find out or even my mother was not aware of how to deal with this case.

Now after more than two years, my mother received a letter (March-2018) by mail, from the USCIS, stating that my Visa Packet was lost and the USCIS had called me to take my biometrics for the Green Card. But I am stuck outside and my mother suggested that I get a Non-immigrant Visa (Tourist) to enter the US, to proceed with the biometrics.

Eventually, when I went to the Interview at the Consulate for the Tourist Visa, I was informed that I do not qualify for the Non-immigrant visa as I was already an immigrant. Further, I was suggested to contact the USCIS.

It is only upon their suggestions that I now read all the info available online. Also, I came to know that the I-551 is nothing but a Temporary Green Card issued for One Year.

Now my situation is like, My I-551 is expired and over two years. And only now I know that there is a Visa Called Returning Resident Visa.

In this scenario, can I apply for A Returning Resident Visa and explain the above case? Would it help in anyway?

you could try applying for a returning resident visa, however I would HIGHLY recommend that you contact USCIS and ask them what you should do before you do anything. this is a complicated situation and it's very odd that you only now are hearing that they lost your visa application. I wish you the best.
    This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

Originally posted by sunshine.beauty View Post
      Hi Guys,

You didn't need to wait for a plastic green card. You could have returned to the US at any time before December 14, 2016 with what you already had. The "expiration date" of the immigrant visa is irrelevant -- immigrant visas are single-use anyway and the visa became void the moment you entered. Rather, the immigrant visa turned into an I-551 (green card is also just an I-551) valid for one year from the date of entry (i.e. until December 14, 2016). That's all you needed to enter the US. And even after December 14, 2016, before you have been out for 1 year (before January 24, 2017), you could have applied for a transportation letter from a US consulate to return to the US if you didn't have a green card.

Now it is too late. If you had an expired 10-year green card you might be able to convince some airline to fly you to the US and try your luck. But not with the immigrant visa past one year of entry.

It is very unlikely for you to get an SB-1 returning resident visa. They are very strict with those and requires you to show that you couldn't return before you have left for 1 year and couldn't apply for an SB-1 any earlier than now due to circumstances beyond your control. But nobody prevented you from returning to the US before you had been out for 1 year (you weren't in jail or something), and ignorance is not an excuse.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X