Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L2 to L1B conversion

Hello,

I am currently on L2 visa (my spouse has L1 visa) and applied for EAD. The case has been received by uscis in March and I expect to receive the docs in 1-2 mths.

Previously my parent company (a large conglomerate) has filed an L1 Blanket petition for me, but US consulate at my home country rejected it claiming application documents not strong enough.

I have got a new offer with different business team at my parent company, and my company has agreed to file a new L1 Blanket petition again, which generally takes 3-4 mths.

Questions:
    --------------
    1. What's the pros and cons for these two approaches: getting L1B without activating L2 EAD vs. start working on L2 EAD and convert it to L1B subsequently (my parent company wants me on-board asap)?

2. Latest check on uscis Change of Status takes 10-12 mths. Is my understanding correct that L2 to L1B conversion takes so much longer than applying L1B outright?

3. If I decided to activate my EAD to work and transfer to L1B subsequently, can I get the L1B stamp in U.S or need to get it at my home country

Expecting some suggestions/inputs on above questions.

Thank you very much!!!

Originally posted by seshasesha View Post
    Hello,

I am currently on L2 visa (my spouse has L1 visa) and applied for EAD. The case has been received by uscis in March and I expect to receive the docs in 1-2 mths.

Previously my parent company (a large conglomerate) has filed an L1 Blanket petition for me, but US consulate at my home country rejected it claiming application documents not strong enough.

I have got a new offer with different business team at my parent company, and my company has agreed to file a new L1 Blanket petition again, which generally takes 3-4 mths.

Questions:
    --------------
    1. What's the pros and cons for these two approaches: getting L1B without activating L2 EAD vs. start working on L2 EAD and convert it to L1B subsequently (my parent company wants me on-board asap)?

2. Latest check on uscis Change of Status takes 10-12 mths. Is my understanding correct that L2 to L1B conversion takes so much longer than applying L1B outright?

3. If I decided to activate my EAD to work and transfer to L1B subsequently, can I get the L1B stamp in U.S or need to get it at my home country

Expecting some suggestions/inputs on above questions.

Thank you very much!!!
    1. You can start working on L2 EAD or wait to get your L1B. Both approaches are OK.
    2. Any Change of Status petition takes longer than going to the consulate and getting a visa. The quickest route would be to go outside the US and get a visa stamped in your passport rather than filing for a COS. However, you would have to go outside the US for that.
    3. There is no "L1B stamp". I think you mean a visa, which by definition can be obtained only at a consulate outside the US.
    Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by scientist2016 View Post
      1. You can start working on L2 EAD or wait to get your L1B. Both approaches are OK.
      2. Any Change of Status petition takes longer than going to the consulate and getting a visa. The quickest route would be to go outside the US and get a visa stamped in your passport rather than filing for a COS. However, you would have to go outside the US for that.
      3. There is no "L1B stamp". I think you mean a visa, which by definition can be obtained only at a consulate outside the US.
      Thank you. This is helpful. Given my L1B rejection history (my employer said this is very exceptional given its track record), would getting a COS has a higher chance than getting a visa stamped at a consulate? Can I get the visa stamped at a nearby country, say Canada, rather than getting it at my home country consulate (my fear factor now is high now)?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X