Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missed internship due to 221g AP for 3 months and still pending. Should I withdraw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missed internship due to 221g AP for 3 months and still pending. Should I withdraw?

I received the dream come true offer to visit one of the most prestigious research institutions in the US to participate in a 3-month long research internship. I applied for my F1 Visa and had my interview 3 weeks prior to the start date. My interview did not even last more than 25 seconds and I was handed a pink slip for INA 221g Administrative Processing and was asked to submit CV and research proposal (Probably due to technical alert list).

It has been around 3 months now since my interview, and my case is still pending without a single case update on the CEAC website. I lost the tremendous opportunity and now I no longer need the Visa.

What should I do? Should I wait anyway for the Administrative Processing to complete or should I email the consulate to withdraw my application? Is a withdrawal considered as Visa rejection? Does Visa rejection effect negatively for future applications? If yes, that is is better to withdraw my current application in order to avoid a rejection?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by letsc; 07-10-2018, 02:16 AM.

3 weeks is lesser time so I can see why the visa wasn?t issued and with volume of applications it?s hard to stay on top I guess. 221g is also crucial one as they take about 60 days however in my case two years ago it took 3 days. But again depends upon country and how busy consulate is. I am sorry that you lost a good opportunity but I would recommend that you withdraw I have not seen any applicant getting rejected after AP but since there is no point of a visa than it is better to withdraw

Comment

Originally posted by Syeda Tahir View Post
      3 weeks is lesser time so I can see why the visa wasn?t issued and with volume of applications it?s hard to stay on top I guess. 221g is also crucial one as they take about 60 days however in my case two years ago it took 3 days. But again depends upon country and how busy consulate is. I am sorry that you lost a good opportunity but I would recommend that you withdraw I have not seen any applicant getting rejected after AP but since there is no point of a visa than it is better to withdraw
      Thanks for your response. Could you kindly explain what you meant by "3 weeks is lesser time so I can see why the visa wasn't issued"? If I understand it correctly, do they consider the start date and try to get the visa before that and once the start date is passed, they no longer give it a priority? I called up US Visa VAC helpline number to ask about my status. That said that they couldn't see information regarding the documents that I was asked or the ones I sent to the embassy regarding my case. They said, it is a problem and asked me to contact the Embassy. But whenever I contact the embassy, the always tell me that everything is going nominally and that I should wait.

This is really weird and intimidating. What should I do?

Comment

Originally posted by letsc View Post
        Thanks for your response. Could you kindly explain what you meant by "3 weeks is lesser time so I can see why the visa wasn't issued"? If I understand it correctly, do they consider the start date and try to get the visa before that and once the start date is passed, they no longer give it a priority? I called up US Visa VAC helpline number to ask about my status. That said that they couldn't see information regarding the documents that I was asked or the ones I sent to the embassy regarding my case. They said, it is a problem and asked me to contact the Embassy. But whenever I contact the embassy, the always tell me that everything is going nominally and that I should wait.

This is really weird and intimidating. What should I do?
        I meant to say that embassy recommends at least 6 weeks because AP can get longer. That?s is strange if you had 221g did you go to their office and dropped your documents there did you receive collection acknowledgement. I think from what you have said that they didn?t get any documents and so they probably didn?t do anything about it as you have one year from the day you get 221g to submit supplemental documents

Comment

I meant to say that embassy recommends at least 6 weeks because AP can get longer. That?s is strange if you had 221g did you go to their office and dropped your documents there did you receive collection acknowledgement. I think from what you have said that they didn?t get any documents and so they probably didn?t do anything about it as you have one year from the day you get 221g to submit supplemental documents
          I had to send the documents as a soft copy to the Consulate's email address. As soon as I sent the documents, I received an automated email stating that if I have sent them documents related to 221g, then the email should be considered as the acknowledgment or receipt. I also asked tje consulate via email whether they have received my documents and if any more documents were required. To which they confirmed that they have received and that they do not require additional documents at that moment.

Comment

I had to send the documents as a soft copy to the Consulate's email address. As soon as I sent the documents, I received an automated email stating that if I have sent them documents related to 221g, then the email should be considered as the acknowledgment or receipt. I also asked tje consulate via email whether they have received my documents and if any more documents were required. To which they confirmed that they have received and that they do not require additional documents at that moment.
            This is quite strange but now there is no point since the opportunity is missed. I would say withdraw since there is no point of a visa that is no good to you, I first applied for F1 visa about two years ago got a 221g and as soon as I sent documents it took 2 days to be out of AP. Than just now I applied again on June 26 and had it issued on 12 July. Normally they take two weeks and I am amazed why that happened. Has there been any updates
            Last edited by Syeda Tahir; 07-17-2018, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your replies

This is quite strange but now there is no point since the opportunity is missed. I would say withdraw since there is no point of a visa that is no good to you, I first applied for F1 visa about two years ago got a 221g and as soon as I sent documents it took 2 days to be out of AP. Than just now I applied again on June 26 and had it issued on 12 July. Normally they take two weeks and I am amazed why that happened. Has there been any updates
              Yeah, you are correct on withdrawing my application. They completely messed up my career opportunity. I sent all the documents that they had asked: (CV, international recommendations, CV of advisors, financial details, research statement etc.). Since the day of my interview, there hasn't been a single case update on CEAC. Thank you for your replies

Comment

Yeah, you are correct on withdrawing my application. They completely messed up my career opportunity. I sent all the documents that they had asked: (CV, international recommendations, CV of advisors, financial details, research statement etc.). Since the day of my interview, there hasn't been a single case update on CEAC. Thank you for your replies
                I am so sorry you went through this. Don?t lose heart you will do great with other opportunities maybe you can apply for f1 visa for pursuing your degree. Best of luck with future endeavors.

Comment

I would not recommend withdrawing it, but once flagged for security check, you need an all clear even if you are not going to take up this opportunity. Otherwise next time you apply, it will show you withdrew from the background check process and will be re flagged.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X