Delay in Using the B-2 Visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delay in Using the B-2 Visa

How long after receiving a B-2 Visa can I wait to travel to the U.S.?

You can travel at any time before it expires.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

I am aware I can travel as soon as the visa is granted. However...

I am much more concerned about how long I can wait until I actually fly to the U.S. before the visa expires. My research to date with people who have used this visa as recently as one year ago indicates it is normally valid for anywhere from 1 - 10 years. Has anyone experienced a different timeline and if so what is it?

Comment

Originally posted by thailen View Post
        I am much more concerned about how long I can wait until I actually fly to the U.S. before the visa expires. My research to date with people who have used this visa as recently as one year ago indicates it is normally valid for anywhere from 1 - 10 years. Has anyone experienced a different timeline and if so what is it?
        It should show you an issue date and expiry date on the visa slip in your passport. You can use it any time within that period. You don't have a certain amount of time between getting the visa and first using it. You could get the visa in 2018 and assuming it's a 10 year visa, not use it for the first time until 2022 for example.

When you enter, you get a stamp from CBP showing how that you're admitted until for that period. It's often up to 6 months. So just because you have a 10 year visa it doesn't mean you can stay for 10 years. The visa is just for entry purposes, CBP determine how long you can stay each time.
        Last edited by Tezza; 07-20-2018, 11:04 AM.
        Marriage AOS - 2018

4-10: Sent to Chicago Lockbox
        4-12: Arrived in Chicago
        4-14: Picked up by USCIS
        4-19: Email & text notifications received
        4-23: I-797 Receipts received
        4-27: Biometrics notice received
        5-10: Courtesy letter for I-693
        5-11: Biometrics completed
        6-04: Interview scheduled
        6-09: Received interview letter
        7-10: Interview complete & approved, status change to New Card being Produced
        7-13: Card was Mailed
        7-18: Green Card in Hand

Comment

I'm sorry for my inability to communicate my problem. I'll try again.

Originally posted by Tezza View Post
          It should show you an issue date and expiry date on the visa slip in your passport. You can use it any time within that period. You don't have a certain amount of time between getting the visa and first using it. You could get the visa in 2018 and assuming it's a 10 year visa, not use it for the first time until 2022 for example.

When you enter, you get a stamp from CBP showing how that you're admitted until for that period. It's often up to 6 months. So just because you have a 10 year visa it doesn't mean you can stay for 10 years. The visa is just for entry purposes, CBP determine how long you can stay each time.
          1. I know the length of stay in the U.S. for the B-2 visa is determined by DHS at the port of entry and it's usually 6 months
          2. I know the visa itself has a date when it is approved and an expiration date.
          3. What I don't know is for how long the visa itself is valid, that that period is determined by the consular person conducting the interview, that while it is an individual decision, I hear that most visas are valid for anywhere from 1 - 10 years. That means the visa can be used during that period. Is that your understanding of your own, your friends and relatives and anyone else receiving the B-2 visa?
          4. Is that B-2 visa normally a single or multiple-entry visa and how is that determination made?

These decisions may not seem important to some of you - what's the difference between 6 months and 10 years, but in my case, it's critical

Hopefully, my questions above are now clear.

Comment

1. I know the length of stay in the U.S. for the B-2 visa is determined by DHS at the port of entry and it's usually 6 months
            2. I know the visa itself has a date when it is approved and an expiration date.
            3. What I don't know is for how long the visa itself is valid, that that period is determined by the consular person conducting the interview, that while it is an individual decision, I hear that most visas are valid for anywhere from 1 - 10 years. That means the visa can be used during that period. Is that your understanding of your own, your friends and relatives and anyone else receiving the B-2 visa?
            4. Is that B-2 visa normally a single or multiple-entry visa and how is that determination made?

These decisions may not seem important to some of you - what's the difference between 6 months and 10 years, but in my case, it's critical

The duration of the visa and whether it is single or multiple entry depends on several things, for e.g., your nationality. US reciprocates your country's policy viz., if your country gives a visitor visa valid for 1 yr and single entry to a US citizen, then that is what you too would get when you apply for a US visitor Visa.

PS: Your original question was generic, and people gave the right answer to the question posed. If you wanted an answer to a specific issue, you should have been clear in your question. For e.g., your last post was a lot more clearer about the intent of your question.
            Last edited by scientist2016; 07-21-2018, 12:54 AM.
            Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

Look at the responses before responding!!!!

Originally posted by Tezza View Post

it was clear to begin with, you're asking how long after issuance you can use the visa, as Tezza said above, if your visa is approved in July 21, 2018, and expires on 01/20/2019, the you can enter on said visa at any time on or in between those dates. same for a ten year multiple entry visa, or a one year visa or whatever visa you are granted. now as for how the determination is made as to what type of b1/b2 visa you recieve, that is made by the visa officer at the time of your interview, their decision is made on their terms based on the information you provided or just based on what kind of a day they're having. there's really no way to determine that. Best of luck.
              This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X