No announcement yet.

OCI Application registration done - Question on Affidavit in Lieu of originals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI Application registration done - Question on Affidavit in Lieu of originals

I just did OCI application registration. I do not have original Indian passport as the proof of Indian origin. But I do have copies of some pages of it with me. I uploaded the available pages I have as proof of my Indian origin. Looking at physical documents to be sent to ckgs, I see that I need to send notarized Affidavit in lieu of originals. Here I need to declare that I can produce originals if requested. I do not original Indian passport if requested by the consulate. How do I declare that I can provide the all the originals except original Indian passport. I can provide other documents as proof of Indian origin such as birth certificate, school and college certificate.
    I used these copies of Indian passport only to get my renunciation certificate.

Please advise.

You can't

You don't have the original, so you can't use the copy. Your notary may ask for the original before notarizing.

What did you do with it? What are the other options in the application?

Comment

Originally posted by jvenkatrao View Post
      I just did OCI application registration. I do not have original Indian passport as the proof of Indian origin. But I do have copies of some pages of it with me. I uploaded the available pages I have as proof of my Indian origin. Looking at physical documents to be sent to ckgs, I see that I need to send notarized Affidavit in lieu of originals. Here I need to declare that I can produce originals if requested. I do not original Indian passport if requested by the consulate. How do I declare that I can provide the all the originals except original Indian passport. I can provide other documents as proof of Indian origin such as birth certificate, school and college certificate.
      I used these copies of Indian passport only to get my renunciation certificate.

Please advise.
      I too do not have my Indian passport. The form clearly says if there is no Indian passport, provide other evidence of prior Indian citizenship. I attached my birth certificate. The key thing to remember is once you complete all parts, you will only be required to submit what is needed based on your own application. So don't wholly really on the example, which is the most common case - Only US citizenship (no dual Citizenship), passport available etc. But every case is different.

Comment

Copy of Birth Certificate in Lieu of Indian Passport

Originally posted by Liberty48 View Post
        You don't have the original, so you can't use the copy. Your notary may ask for the original before notarizing.

I have lost my Indian passport.
        I have sent a copy of my birth certificate along with my OCI application. I did the same thing while obtaining Renunciation certificate.

Comment

I don't think the OP has a standing to include copies of his passport when he does not have the original. Regardless it is not the job of the notary to ask for originals. The notary is only certifying that the person signing the affidavit is indeed the named person for the given declarative statement.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by upnorth85 View Post
            I too do not have my Indian passport. The form clearly says if there is no Indian passport, provide other evidence of prior Indian citizenship. I attached my birth certificate. The key thing to remember is once you complete all parts, you will only be required to submit what is needed based on your own application. So don't wholly really on the example, which is the most common case - Only US citizenship (no dual Citizenship), passport available etc. But every case is different.
            A lot of applicants worry much with the OCI application. As you said, it is best to go through the full process of completing the application and do what is best for your situation. There is lot of information in this forum and people just ask the same question without searching and reading the previous responses.

Comment

Yes and no - for notary

I don't think the OP has a standing to include copies of his passport when he does not have the original. Regardless it is not the job of the notary to ask for originals. The notary is only certifying that the person signing the affidavit is indeed the named person for the given declarative statement.
              >>Regardless it is not the job of the notary to ask for originals.

I applied for all in my family. The notary at the bank asked for originals. The notary at the library didn't. So, it is best to have the originals and you are not lying and have to find another notary (I hear people saying, who cares!). The whole idea of having a notary is to reduce the work for us and the consulate to verify the originality of your originals. You can always work around the system (wink wink), but it will come to bite us all as soon as people taking advantage of the system (again, some can say who cares!).

Comment

I am a notary public. If I had to notarize the document, all my job is to ensure the person who is claiming to affirm that he has in his possession unknown copies of unkown originals, it is not my job to determine about the type and number of documents. All I am doing as a notary is ensuring the person who is making the statement is the one I am certifying is that person. So if that notary is asking for originals without knowing how many originals is in his possession, then he/she is wandering off the base. However, if I have to sign off on the true copies of each original then yes, I will inspect the originals and then put my seal on the photocopy of each original. Completely different cases.
                >>Regardless it is not the job of the notary to ask for originals.

I applied for all in my family. The notary at the bank asked for originals. The notary at the library didn't. So, it is best to have the originals and you are not lying and have to find another notary (I hear people saying, who cares!). The whole idea of having a notary is to reduce the work for us and the consulate to verify the originality of your originals. You can always work around the system (wink wink), but it will come to bite us all as soon as people taking advantage of the system (again, some can say who cares!).

Comment

Good to know

I am a notary public. If I had to notarize the document, all my job is to ensure the person who is claiming to affirm that he has in his possession unknown copies of unkown originals, it is not my job to determine about the type and number of documents. All I am doing as a notary is ensuring the person who is making the statement is the one I am certifying is that person. So if that notary is asking for originals without knowing how many originals is in his possession, then he/she is wandering off the base. However, if I have to sign off on the true copies of each original then yes, I will inspect the originals and then put my seal on the photocopy of each original. Completely different cases.
                  Thanks. That is a very useful information.

I guess you mean to say, you will sign any affidavit as the person is claiming to affirm what ever it says, but not the copy of the original without proof! May be that is how it should be. I hope lot of people do go wink wink with this.

Comment

The notary is not signing availability of originals and copies. If that were so, then every copy has to be sighted and signed. All the notary is signing is for:

Subscribed and sworn to by XX before me on the xx day.
                    When this person signs in front of the notary the notary inspects the ID of the person making the sworn statement and notarizes it. There is a huge difference in notarizing each document and notarizing a sworn statement.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X