Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it ever faster if an applicant is "easier" for want of a better phrase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it ever faster if an applicant is "easier" for want of a better phrase?

Hi all. Hope all is well and things are going smoothly. Was curious if the wait times are ever decreased if an applicant requires less time investigating etc? I have been a permanent resident for 39 years,(long family story why I haven't up to this point become citizen yet) married to a US citizen for 38 and have no complications with criminal records etc etc. Edit. Forgot to say would be the Chicago office.

Thanks
    Last edited by kcanguy77; 07-16-2018, 01:01 PM.

Originally posted by kcanguy77 View Post
    Hi all. Hope all is well and things are going smoothly. Was curious if the wait times are ever decreased if an applicant requires less time investigating etc? I have been a permanent resident for 39 years,(long family story why I haven't up to this point become citizen yet) married to a US citizen for 38 and have no complications with criminal records etc etc. Edit. Forgot to say would be the Chicago office.

Thanks
    There is no way to predict the speed with which your application will be processed. Officially, the USCIS claims to process cases in the order that they are received.....I have been a permanent resident since 1993 and got around to putting in my N-400 in August 2017 while I was waiting for them to finish processing my expiring permanent resident card. Like you, I have no complications (married for 17 years; wife and child are US citizens by birth; paid taxes every year; no criminal issues; no speeding tickets; have gone abroad on 12 trips [128 days] over the last five years; etc, etc.), but it has made no difference in terms of the time for processing the case. In fact, I suspect that the first question that will be asked at the interview will be about why it took me so long to file..... to make a long story short, it took the full 11.5 months for them to send me the new card. Given this, I suspect that my N400 will take anywhere between 13.5 and 16 months (i.e., the officially reported processing time for Denver) to be processed. So, if you are going to apply, be ready to be patient...infinitely patient.

Comment

You will definitely have to be very patient. But as you're already a permanent resident, you don't need to worry. The wait might be long but it doesn't really matter, unless you're trying to get a job specified for US citizens only, trying to vote, run for federal office or intend to move out of the US for a long period and don't want to be subject to the LPR residency requirements.

Aside from that, apply and just be patient. In the meantime you're safe anyway as you're an LPR. It's not like a case where people are applying for AOS for example and in the meantime have no status or are about to run out of status.

I know the application to become a citizen is a very long processes, so as above said, just apply as soon as possible and be very patient. Good luck.
      Marriage AOS - 2018

4-10: Sent to Chicago Lockbox
      4-12: Arrived in Chicago
      4-14: Picked up by USCIS
      4-19: Email & text notifications received
      4-23: I-797 Receipts received
      4-27: Biometrics notice received
      5-10: Courtesy letter for I-693
      5-11: Biometrics completed
      6-04: Interview scheduled
      6-09: Received interview letter
      7-10: Interview complete & approved, status change to New Card being Produced
      7-13: Card was Mailed
      7-18: Green Card in Hand

Comment

Originally posted by YRC View Post
        There is no way to predict the speed with which your application will be processed. Officially, the USCIS claims to process cases in the order that they are received.....I have been a permanent resident since 1993 and got around to putting in my N-400 in August 2017 while I was waiting for them to finish processing my expiring permanent resident card. Like you, I have no complications (married for 17 years; wife and child are US citizens by birth; paid taxes every year; no criminal issues; no speeding tickets; have gone abroad on 12 trips [128 days] over the last five years; etc, etc.), but it has made no difference in terms of the time for processing the case. In fact, I suspect that the first question that will be asked at the interview will be about why it took me so long to file..... to make a long story short, it took the full 11.5 months for them to send me the new card. Given this, I suspect that my N400 will take anywhere between 13.5 and 16 months (i.e., the officially reported processing time for Denver) to be processed. So, if you are going to apply, be ready to be patient...infinitely patient.
        Thanks YRC. I guess I was fishing for "sure you will be moved to the front of the line" answer lol! Interesting about your Green card potentially being a factor. Im amongst the lucky few in that I came in in 1979 which was during a 3-4 year window when the card was good for life, never needing to be renewed. At the Canadian border inbound back to the US I have had customs folks "strongly" suggest I get a new card and I have always politely said "I'll consider it" lol! I think it them wanting the revenue. Hopefully they never change it so I will "have to" get a new one. Also curious if you did your application on line? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kcanguy77 View Post

Thanks
          I had the non-biometric card till well after 9/11. But had to ask for a replacement because immigration in the UK would not issue visas or allow me transit through London. In those days I had to travel frequently to the UK for work. As for the time it takes for processing N400s, my guess is that it?s a combination of the higher volume they are getting and a deliberate policy of slowing down. Both can be attributed to the current political dispensation. I submitted a paper application after getting frustrated with the online system. For some reason it would not allow me to upload supporting documents.
          Last edited by YRC; 07-16-2018, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tezza View Post
            You will definitely have to be very patient. But as you're already a permanent resident, you don't need to worry. The wait might be long but it doesn't really matter, unless you're trying to get a job specified for US citizens only, trying to vote, run for federal office or intend to move out of the US for a long period and don't want to be subject to the LPR residency requirements.

Aside from that, apply and just be patient. In the meantime you're safe anyway as you're an LPR. It's not like a case where people are applying for AOS for example and in the meantime have no status or are about to run out of status.

I know the application to become a citizen is a very long processes, so as above said, just apply as soon as possible and be very patient. Good luck.
            It used to be so fast, though. I filed summer 2004. June? My interview was scheduled a couple of months later. This was in M***aukee, WI. The day of my interview, I remember it vividly because that field office was EMPTY. The guards were playing chess. They chatted with me for a while. I did not want to be late. They said "what's the rush? there's no one here".

The ISO - same deal- was very friendly. I filed under the 5 year rule and that's all he cared about.

Comment

Originally posted by UScitizenFilingforspouse View Post
              It used to be so fast, though. I filed summer 2004. June? My interview was scheduled a couple of months later. This was in M***aukee, WI. The day of my interview, I remember it vividly because that field office was EMPTY. The guards were playing chess. They chatted with me for a while. I did not want to be late. They said "what's the rush? there's no one here".

The ISO - same deal- was very friendly. I filed under the 5 year rule and that's all he cared about.
              I wish it could still be like that these days!! That sounds like a lovely experience compared to nowadays!
              Marriage AOS - 2018

4-10: Sent to Chicago Lockbox
              4-12: Arrived in Chicago
              4-14: Picked up by USCIS
              4-19: Email & text notifications received
              4-23: I-797 Receipts received
              4-27: Biometrics notice received
              5-10: Courtesy letter for I-693
              5-11: Biometrics completed
              6-04: Interview scheduled
              6-09: Received interview letter
              7-10: Interview complete & approved, status change to New Card being Produced
              7-13: Card was Mailed
              7-18: Green Card in Hand

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X