Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Credit after EAD/SSN

Hello Guys.
    I got my combo card and my SSN and I want to start building my credit.
    How should I start?
    Does the bank issue credit card for EAD holder with SSN?
    Field Office: Miami-FL
    Package sent: 01/26/2018
    PD: 01/29/2018
    Texts: 02/06/2018
    NOAs: 02/10/2018
    Biometrics: Received 02/16 - Done at 02/27 - Walk-in
    Interview is ready to be scheduled: 03/26/2018
    EAD card is being produced: 06/18/2018 (140 days)
    I-765/I-131 - Approved 06/19/2018

Originally posted by krlosrb View Post
    Hello Guys.
    I got my combo card and my SSN and I want to start building my credit.
    How should I start?
    Does the bank issue credit card for EAD holder with SSN?
    Even you don't work, but you have an SSN you could still apply for a secured credit card. Or go to the bank that you have saving/checking account, they will be more than happy to help you apply for one. The credit limit would be low at first but as you build, you would increase the limit/apply for another credit card in the future.

Comment

Its quite frustrating in this country. I moved from the Netherlands, had bank accounts, credit cards (american express/visa) and never any issue.
      Moved here and couldnt even open a bank account online due to no credit history.
      So went in person and get one at PNC, fine whatevs.
      next step, credit card. No way they're gonna give you any credit so you have to start with a secured card.
      I picked capital one, put in about $200 as deposit and got maybe $500 credit line?
      I hardly use it but it helps building up credit history.

What would also help is if your partner adds you as authorized user to his/her credit cards.

After that the waiting game begins, get Credit Karma so you can monitor shizzle.
      This is my opinion, not legal advice!

AOS (c9) 2 USC 485/130/131/765
      122017 - PD
      012518 - Biometrics
      033118 - EAD/AP Combo card delivered
      062618 - "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview"
      082618 - "we scheduled an interview for your Form I-485"
      090418 - 2nd we scheduled
      091018 - first interview canceled
      092118 - Request to reschedule int
      102318 - Renewal filed EAD/AP
      030819 - EAD/AP Card in hand
      040219 - We canceled your int
      040519 - Int sched
      051419 - Interview
      053119 - approved

Comment

Originally posted by boogiewoogie View Post
        Its quite frustrating in this country. I moved from the Netherlands, had bank accounts, credit cards (american express/visa) and never any issue.
        Moved here and couldnt even open a bank account online due to no credit history.
        next step, credit card. No way they're gonna give you any credit so you have to start with a secured card.
        I picked capital one, put in about $200 as deposit and got maybe $500 credit line?

What would also help is if your partner adds you as authorized user to his/her credit cards.

After that the waiting game begins, get Credit Karma so you can monitor shizzle.
        Thanks for the answer.
        I applied for the WellsFargo credit card online and they replied me saying that it was refuse because I am not a permanent resident. I went to the branch this week and they said that my first credit card must to be a secured one. I dont know if I am going to do it. I also informed my SSN to the financial instution where I bought my card, I think with that they can inform my payments to the credit bureau.

I also signed up for Credit Karma but they couldn't confirm my identity as well. I am gonna wait a couple weeks to see.
        Field Office: Miami-FL
        Package sent: 01/26/2018
        PD: 01/29/2018
        Texts: 02/06/2018
        NOAs: 02/10/2018
        Biometrics: Received 02/16 - Done at 02/27 - Walk-in
        Interview is ready to be scheduled: 03/26/2018
        EAD card is being produced: 06/18/2018 (140 days)
        I-765/I-131 - Approved 06/19/2018

Comment

Originally posted by krlosrb View Post
          Thanks for the answer.
          I applied for the WellsFargo credit card online and they replied me saying that it was refuse because I am not a permanent resident. I went to the branch this week and they said that my first credit card must to be a secured one. I dont know if I am going to do it. I also informed my SSN to the financial instution where I bought my card, I think with that they can inform my payments to the credit bureau.

I also signed up for Credit Karma but they couldn't confirm my identity as well. I am gonna wait a couple weeks to see.
          Yes, confirming your identity can be an issue sometimes. They use Driver's license + SSN. If you have not gotten a state ID or driver's license, I would definitely start with that.
          You can also try starting with an account at Macy's. They open account for tourists all the time. Or at least, they did back in the day. It won't be a huge credit line but you will be able to build your credit history.

Comment

Originally posted by boogiewoogie View Post

Hi Boogiewoogie,
            We kinda have the same time line , let?s keep each other posted
            Regards
            Godobo
            Marriage based AOS
            Service Center : NBC
            Application centre : Boston
            PD:130,131,765 &485 : Dec, 8,20 7.
            Bio-metrics : January 2,2018.
            First SR :February 25,2018 (Day 79)
            Second SR : March 7, 2018 (Day 89)
            Card bn produced : 3/23/18
            Card received 3/30/18
            Case ready 2 b scheduled for AOS interview 6/20/18
            Interview scheduled:September 10&noticed received August 10
            Interview date: 9/10/18
            Approval letter received :9/14/18
            Card was mailed to me: 9/14/18
            Green card received : 9/19/18

Comment

Originally posted by UScitizenFilingforspouse View Post
              Yes, confirming your identity can be an issue sometimes. They use Driver's license + SSN. If you have not gotten a state ID or driver's license, I would definitely start with that.
              You can also try starting with an account at Macy's. They open account for tourists all the time. Or at least, they did back in the day. It won't be a huge credit line but you will be able to build your credit history.
              I?ve had my SSN and line of credit for about 8 years and I still must fax/present SSN and driver?s license every single time I apply for a credit card/line of credit. Since my credit history is young, they go the extra mile to ensure it is not fraud. Heck, Sprint just did the same thing to me a few months ago when I opened a phone plan with them! It is definitely annoying because they can?t approve you on the spot most of the time (unless you carry your SSN), and you must follow up by confirming your identity before they make a decision, but a secured credit card for 2 years really helped my score rise. I would recommend it. It is a thousand times better than nothing.
              DC Field office filing of marriage based AOS. Timeline:

03/09/18 - I-485 & I-130 accepted (PD)
              04/06/18 - I-765 accepted (PD)
              04/06/18 - Biometrics appointment
              04/17/18 - Biometrics Review Completed
              07/03/18 - EAD expedite request submitted
              07/09/18 - Pink courtesy notice for I-693 medical
              07/10/18 - Case is ready to be scheduled for interview
              07/26/18 - Inquiry into EAD expedite, no update
              08/01/18 - EAD has been mailed
              08/27/18 - Interview scheduled e-notification

Comment