Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting SSN after Green Card - Advice Please

Hey guys,

Just wanted some input from the reliable force that is the immihelp forum, especially from those who've done this already.

After GC (which I finally have a tracking number for from USPS) arrival this week, I will need an SSN, bear in mind I've never had one before. When I submitted the I-765 I selected to be automatically issued an SSN with my EAD.

Since I never got the EAD and went straight to GC, what happens now? Will the SSA automatically send me an SSN shortly after I receive my GC or will I need to go to the SSA office and apply for one that way?

Thanks guys.
    Marriage AOS - 2018

4-10: Sent to Chicago Lockbox
    4-12: Arrived in Chicago
    4-14: Picked up by USCIS
    4-19: Email & text notifications received
    4-23: I-797 Receipts received
    4-27: Biometrics notice received
    5-10: Courtesy letter for I-693
    5-11: Biometrics completed
    6-04: Interview scheduled
    6-09: Received interview letter
    7-10: Interview complete & approved, status change to New Card being Produced
    7-13: Card was Mailed
    7-18: Green Card in Hand

Originally posted by Tezza View Post
    Hey guys,

Just wanted some input from the reliable force that is the immihelp forum, especially from those who've done this already.

After GC (which I finally have a tracking number for from USPS) arrival this week, I will need an SSN, bear in mind I've never had one before. When I submitted the I-765 I selected to be automatically issued an SSN with my EAD.

Since I never got the EAD and went straight to GC, what happens now? Will the SSA automatically send me an SSN shortly after I receive my GC or will I need to go to the SSA office and apply for one that way?

Thanks guys.
    you have to go and apply for one...you have to wait but you should get it the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by geroaj View Post
      you have to go and apply for one...you have to wait but you should get it the same day.
      Okay thanks for your help, much appreciated.
      Marriage AOS - 2018

4-10: Sent to Chicago Lockbox
      4-12: Arrived in Chicago
      4-14: Picked up by USCIS
      4-19: Email & text notifications received
      4-23: I-797 Receipts received
      4-27: Biometrics notice received
      5-10: Courtesy letter for I-693
      5-11: Biometrics completed
      6-04: Interview scheduled
      6-09: Received interview letter
      7-10: Interview complete & approved, status change to New Card being Produced
      7-13: Card was Mailed
      7-18: Green Card in Hand

Comment

Hello
        I have similar question, i'm working in US since 2012 under L-1 and i had SSN ,but it says on it "Valid for work only with DHS authorization"
        After i received GC today, do i need to get new SSN, i can keep the same?
        By the way, when my son got EAD and AP, his SSN also arrived without any application?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by harry1983 View Post
          Hello
          I have similar question, i'm working in US since 2012 under L-1 and i had SSN ,but it says on it "Valid for work only with DHS authorization"
          By the way, when my son got EAD and AP, his SSN also arrived without any application?

Thanks
          you can go to ssn office to get restrictions removed. wait 6 months though, mine wasn't updated at dhs to remove condition even after 4 months.

If ur ultimate goal is citizenship you can do it then all at once when you get your us passport to update your citizenship.
          Last edited by gunit123; 07-21-2018, 01:47 PM.
          JAN 2018 , GREEN CARD RECEIVED

AOS , 7 MONTHS TOTAL PROCESS TIME

Comment

Hello

Thanks
            You don't have to wait 6 months. Just go to the Social Security Administration and bring all your documents. They should be able to place an inquiry and confirm.

Sign up for e-verify and do a self-check. Print that out and bring it with you

Comment

Originally posted by UScitizenFilingforspouse View Post
              You don't have to wait 6 months. Just go to the Social Security Administration and bring all your documents. They should be able to place an inquiry and confirm.

Sign up for e-verify and do a self-check. Print that out and bring it with you
              enquiry ia a month long process, do not recommend doing that. ssn updating is useless anyway unless you become us citizen to get benefits when u retire. for jobs u can always show GC.

Comment

Originally posted by gunit123 View Post
                enquiry ia a month long process, do not recommend doing that. ssn updating is useless anyway unless you become us citizen to get benefits when u retire. for jobs u can always show GC.
                Thank you, i think i will wait until US citizen and for jobs just need to show GC only

Comment

Thank you, i think i will wait until US citizen and for jobs just need to show GC only
                  You should still update your status with the SSA.

Comment

Originally posted by UScitizenFilingforspouse View Post
                    You should still update your status with the SSA.
                    no u dont. i went to ssa to update mine when said my dhs file was not updated yet.. after 4 months.
                    i told her i will see her when i get my citizenship.

its bogus when people say u have to update from "authorized to work" to remove those words.

it really doesn't matter.

if you guys have time , sure go and do it. i won't for next few years till i am a us citizen.
                    Last edited by gunit123; 07-22-2018, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Can i change the job with this type of SSN??
                      Will i have an issues during background check with the new job?
                      I have GC on hands, but SSN says "Valid for work only with DHS authorization"

Originally posted by gunit123 View Post
                      no u dont. i went to ssa to update mine when said my dhs file was not updated yet.. after 4 months.
                      i told her i will see her when i get my citizenship.

its bogus when people say u have to update from "authorized to work" to remove those words.

it really doesn't matter.

if you guys have time , sure go and do it. i won't for next few years till i am a us citizen.

Comment

Can i change the job with this type of SSN??
                        Will i have an issues during background check with the new job?
                        I have GC on hands, but SSN says "Valid for work only with DHS authorization"
                        i think i got it
                        i checked with website, https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/ac...able-documents
                        basically I-9 form has List A,B,C accepted documents and if you present document from list A( GC, US Passport, etc..) it does not matter what type of SSN you have, but if you present in I-9 papers from list B(which is DL) then need to have SSN unrestricted from list C.
                        am i right? i just don't have time to go to SSA and deal with it
                        Last edited by samlynn; 10-15-2018, 06:59 PM.

Comment

i think i got it
                          i checked with website, https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/ac...able-documents
                          basically I-9 form has List A,B,C accepted documents and if you present document from list A( GC, US Passport, etc..) it does not matter what type of SSN you have, but if you present in I-9 papers from list B(which is DL) then need to have SSN unrestricted from list C.
                          am i right? i just don't have time to go to SSA and deal with it
                          Right. The only difference is you can't use it as a List C document. It does not affect you getting a job if you use another document for the I-9.
                          Last edited by samlynn; 10-15-2018, 06:59 PM.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X