Gun Law Greencard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Law Greencard

does anyone here legally own a gun after getting green card? federal law states it's ok for green card holders to buy a gun in conjunction with any state law.
    i was wondering if it affects i751 or n400 if legally a gun is purchased?

any info will be appreciated.
    JAN 2018 , GREEN CARD RECEIVED

AOS , 7 MONTHS TOTAL PROCESS TIME

Originally posted by gunit123 View Post
    does anyone here legally own a gun after getting green card? federal law states it's ok for green card holders to buy a gun in conjunction with any state law.
    i was wondering if it affects i751 or n400 if legally a gun is purchased?

any info will be appreciated.
    as long as you legally purchased it and are in compliance with your local and state laws as well as the federal guidelines for purchasing a firearm, it should not be an issue.
    This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

Originally posted by krypton9591 View Post
      as long as you legally purchased it and are in compliance with your local and state laws as well as the federal guidelines for purchasing a firearm, it should not be an issue.
      ok thanks, i am from a state where there is no state law to own a gun, just federal law. concealed carry is a different issue though.

i just need a gun to protect my self at home. my wife who is a USC has 2 guns, i want to get one for myself.

Comment

As a GC holder you have the right to bear arms according to the Constitution, which again, as a GC holder you're protected by. State laws determines the intricacies of who can and can't purchase or own a firearm. I am pretty sure the majority of states allow a GC holder to legally purchase and carry (see local state laws for open and concealed). My state certainly allows it. When you go to a gun shop and attempt to buy a gun, on the form you fill in, there is a space specifically asking for the GC number, so that should answer your question.

If it's your first gun you may have a holding period of 3-5 days or so, dependent on state while they background check you. But after that, you should be able to go in, have a quick background check and walk out with it on the same day.

If you're extremely concerned, stop by your local Sheriff or Police department and ask them.
        Last edited by Tezza; 07-18-2018, 03:49 PM.
        Marriage AOS - 2018

4-10: Sent to Chicago Lockbox
        4-12: Arrived in Chicago
        4-14: Picked up by USCIS
        4-19: Email & text notifications received
        4-23: I-797 Receipts received
        4-27: Biometrics notice received
        5-10: Courtesy letter for I-693
        5-11: Biometrics completed
        6-04: Interview scheduled
        6-09: Received interview letter
        7-10: Interview complete & approved, status change to New Card being Produced
        7-13: Card was Mailed
        7-18: Green Card in Hand

Comment

Originally posted by Tezza View Post
          As a GC holder you have the right to bear arms according to the Constitution, which again, as a GC holder you're protected by. State laws determines the intricacies of who can and can't purchase or own a firearm. I am pretty sure the majority of states allow a GC holder to legally purchase and carry (see local state laws for open and concealed). My state certainly allows it. When you go to a gun shop and attempt to buy a gun, on the form you fill in, there is a space specifically asking for the GC number, so that should answer your question.

If it's your first gun you may have a holding period of 3-5 days or so, dependent on state while they background check you. But after that, you should be able to go in, have a quick background check and walk out with it on the same day.
          ok thanks. good info, i have seen the process when i went with my wife to buy. i didn't know about little delay to process non us citizen forms.

Comment

At least in our state, it does. All green carders get pulled over. As far as I understand, the checker doesn't have access to the immigration database. So the case goes to another department. We have a concealed carry license called a CPL - concealed pistol license. Not sure if it helps with the gun - not a pistol. On the other hand, a CPL wouldn't hurt. My own experience has been mixed, with some delay and immediate permissions, with no apparent pattern. There can often be some problem with guns; unlike scopes, my brother buys and sells them for a little more money with no problem. Business so to speak)
            Last edited by Fantik24; 10-05-2021, 12:01 PM.

Comment

If you have a green card, you have the same rights and responsibilities as residents of a certain state (except for voting in elections). Therefore, you can buy a gun according to the laws of the state in which you live. The first thing you need to do is get a license that will allow you to buy a gun. I love shooting, and I especially like lr shooting as it is quite difficult to hit a target that is far away. You have to have a lot of experience in shooting and also be able to take into account possible deviations.
              Last edited by babetteteets; 07-13-2022, 07:33 AM.

Comment

I live in Texas. Have a conditional GC - I-751 is pending. I have may license to carry, I am a gun collector. I own 12+ guns. I even build my own ARs that I legally buy the lower receivers for. Have never had an issue. I am also about to apply to be commissioned security officer.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X