Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dropping maternal last name in AoS through marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping maternal last name in AoS through marriage?

My husband and I are getting married soon, and getting ready to apply for AoS for me. I am from a latin american country and therefore my last name includes two names, my paternal last name, and my maternal last name. I want to change my last name to be just the paternal last name, so for example I want my name to change from Rosa Maria Perez Sanchez (last name is Perez Sanchez), to Rosa Maria Perez.

I was therefore thinking of filling out my marriage license with the new name (Rosa Maria Perez), to have legal proof of name change, and sending every form (485, 130, etc) with the new name, though listing the other name under ther names used. My question is, will this cause any trouble with my AoS? I dont want to cause confusion or get an RFE.

Originally posted by babyturtle View Post
    My husband and I are getting married soon, and getting ready to apply for AoS for me. I am from a latin american country and therefore my last name includes two names, my paternal last name, and my maternal last name. I want to change my last name to be just the paternal last name, so for example I want my name to change from Rosa Maria Perez Sanchez (last name is Perez Sanchez), to Rosa Maria Perez.

I was therefore thinking of filling out my marriage license with the new name (Rosa Maria Perez), to have legal proof of name change, and sending every form (485, 130, etc) with the new name, though listing the other name under ther names used. My question is, will this cause any trouble with my AoS? I dont want to cause confusion or get an RFE.
    The marriage license/ certificate gives you the options to change you name. If you wish to make the changes on the marriage certificate you can go ahead and do it.
    The I-485 form ask for all names previously used.
    Make sure you submit all relevant documents with your applications that will enable USCIS link the changes .
    Congrats on your coming marriage and good luck in your AOS process.

Comment

You want to change your last name to be your father's last name? Or your husband's last name?
      Filed I-130, I130A, I-485, I-765
      Priority Date: 01/22/2018
      Date Received NOA Letters: 02/02/2018
      Courtesy Letter for i693: 02/20/2018
      Biometrics Done: 02/21/2018
      Interview(rec' approval letter): 05/31/2018
      EAD card in production: 06/02/2018
      EAD card in hand: 06/07/2018
      SSN card in hand: 06/09/2018
      GC approval/production notifications: 07/08/2018
      Card mailed notification: 07/09/2018
      I130 & I485 approval letters received: 07/09/2018
      GC in hand: 07/11/2018

Comment

Originally posted by rasous View Post
        The marriage license/ certificate gives you the options to change you name. If you wish to make the changes on the marriage certificate you can go ahead and do it.
        The I-485 form ask for all names previously used.
        Make sure you submit all relevant documents with your applications that will enable USCIS link the changes .
        Congrats on your coming marriage and good luck in your AOS process.
        I didn't notice that you can change your name in the marriage certificate, I went to the SS to trry to change it and they told me that I have to wait till I get my green card to do it
        C9 Married to USC AOS (I-130,I485,I-765) DC office
        10/27/2017 PD
        11/08/2017 I-797 (3)
        12/07/2017 Biometric Walk in
        05/17/2018 RFE form I-485 (requesting tax returns 2017)
        06/18/2018 I-693 courtesy letter
        06/20/2018 Email "Case is ready to be scheduled for interview"
        07/08/2018 EAD card in production
        07/16/2018 EAD in hand
        07/31/2018 Interview scheduled
        09/06/2018 Interview
        09/11/2018 Letter of approval

Comment

Originally posted by Roxilili View Post
          I didn't notice that you can change your name in the marriage certificate, I went to the SS to try to change it and they told me that I have to wait till I get my green card to do it
          That strange, cause i went to SS and they needed only my marriage certificate to change my name on SS card, that was a first step to change my name, before i changed my DL and then on bank account and Credit Cards.
          Do you have any valid picture ID. I don't remember how I change my DL, but everywhere they were asking my old ID and Marriage certificate.

On my Marriage certificate nothing about change name. Just My madden and his name.
          Last edited by Houston2016; 07-20-2018, 12:18 PM.
          Field Office: Houston, TX
          PD: Nov 14, 2016
          Fingerprints: Dec 15, 2016
          Ready to schedule for interview: Jan 07, 2017
          Interview letter issued: Jul 03, 2018
          Interview scheduled: Aug 07,2018 9:35 am
          Interview was from 10.30 to 11.00 am
          Approved: Aug 07,2018 3:30 pm

Comment

If you're just dropping the second last name, I do not think you need an actual name change. I have two last names too. The Social Security Administration would not add my second last name to the card. This was years ago. I didn't insist either.

Comment

Yes SSA requires actual USCIS card

Originally posted by Houston2016 View Post
              That strange, cause i went to SS and they needed only my marriage certificate to change my name on SS card, that was a first step to change my name, before i changed my DL and then on bank account and Credit Cards.
              Do you have any valid picture ID. I don't remember how I change my DL, but everywhere they were asking my old ID and Marriage certificate.

On my Marriage certificate nothing about change name. Just My madden and his name.
              Yes I took all my immigration receipts and EAD card and got my name changed. I kept my maiden and added hubby's name. All plus my first name were included on the SSN card. In fact the lady typed it exactly as how it appeared on the Work Permit EAD.

All the best.
              7. 18. 2017: I130, I131, I485, I864, I765 - Chicago Lockbox: 8. 15. 2017: Biom-Kendall, Florida
              10. 5. 2017: EAD received: 6. 21. 2018: 7. 5. 2018: Interview I797C notice rec’d
              7. 31. 2018: Interview-Kendall, Florida: 7. 31. 2018: Interview success: Imm. I485 approval: 8. 1. 2018: I130 approved
              8. 3. 2018: Card is mailed to me (1485): 8. 8. 2018: 2-yr GC in hand: 6. 6. 2020: ROC: 9. 23. 2020: 10-yr Green Card
              5. 6. 2021: Appl. for Nat.: 8. 16. 2021: Nat. Interview 10. 1. 2021: Oath Cer. Mailed

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X