State ID While Waiting for Work Permit/Green Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State ID While Waiting for Work Permit/Green Card

Hey all. Has anyone tried to get a state driver's license or other state ID while waiting for your work permit (I-765) or green card (I-485)? My wife is here on K-1 visa, and has our marriage certificate, her SSN card, bank account, etc., but we won't receive her work permit probably for a few months (filed June1).

The state DMV tells us she first needs to present her work permit, even though their checklist only shows she needs a foreign passport, SSN card, and some proofs of residence and name. We have everything but the work permit.

Has anyone been successful in getting a state ID without the work permit or green card?

Thanks.
    2018 I-485/I-765 based on K-1 Marriage

May 31: Received by Chicago
    June 22: Received letter saying biometrics is scheduled
    July 9: Biometrics Completed
    July 19: Online status updated to say "Ready to schedule interview"
    Aug 1: Online status updated to say "Interview has been scheduled"
    Aug 6: Received letter saying interview scheduled for Sept. 10

Originally posted by JimM001 View Post
    Hey all. Has anyone tried to get a state driver's license or other state ID while waiting for your work permit (I-765) or green card (I-485)? My wife is here on K-1 visa, and has our marriage certificate, her SSN card, bank account, etc., but we won't receive her work permit probably for a few months (filed June1).

The state DMV tells us she first needs to present her work permit, even though their checklist only shows she needs a foreign passport, SSN card, and some proofs of residence and name. We have everything but the work permit.

Has anyone been successful in getting a state ID without the work permit or green card?

Thanks.
    There have been a few people that have managed to do this. It's all dependent on the state's requirements, some are stricter than others. If you're happy to share your state, do that and there might be someone here who has been through it in your state and can help further.
    Marriage AOS - 2018

4-10: Sent to Chicago Lockbox
    4-12: Arrived in Chicago
    4-14: Picked up by USCIS
    4-19: Email & text notifications received
    4-23: I-797 Receipts received
    4-27: Biometrics notice received
    5-10: Courtesy letter for I-693
    5-11: Biometrics completed
    6-04: Interview scheduled
    6-09: Received interview letter
    7-10: Interview complete & approved, status change to New Card being Produced
    7-13: Card was Mailed
    7-18: Green Card in Hand

Comment

Thanks.
      I have tried in Houston, TX but no luck 😔😔. I was a very disappointing experience with DPS workers behavior.. I have even talked to the manager and showed all written docs which clearly states that I am eligible to get a driver's license. She said that they cannot approve my ID with my valid passport!! After visiting 2 different DPS I gave up and understood that it is their policy.. pls let us know which state you are applying from and even though I couldn't manage to get one, strongly suggest to give a try.
      Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.
      03/27-2018 AOS package sent to Chicago Lockbox.
      03/30- confirmation of delivery to USCIS.
      04/11- Four Email/Text notifications
      04/11- cheques cashed
      04/27- Biometrics appointment received.
      04/27-Courtesy Letter-I-693
      05/02- Biometrics walk-in
      08/01- I-765 New Card being produced
      08/03- We approved your case; I-765 & I-131
      08/08-Combo Card received

Comment

Thanks. This was New York state. The front desk reviewer at DMV said our documents were okay, and even according to their internal checklist we we had more than enough. But when we sat with the clerk the first thing she did was look at the SSN card with the work permit disclaimer and said "wheres your work permit?". Without that she said no ID. And surprisingly she also said our cancelled personal check was no good because it needed to be cancelled by the bank, not by hand. As soon as I heard that I began to wonder if she was just being difficult.

Comment

In Virginia I got my driver license valid for a year using the receipt I-797 + the others usual documents, with the EAD I can go and get my driver license for 2 years.
          Here they don't ask for SSN, but they ask for any two valid ID (they have a list), prove of residence no more than 3 months old, you can even go to the Post Office and get your prove of residence address there.

Hope help you this information.
          C9 Married to USC AOS (I-130,I485,I-765) DC office
          10/27/2017 PD
          11/08/2017 I-797 (3)
          12/07/2017 Biometric Walk in
          05/17/2018 RFE form I-485 (requesting tax returns 2017)
          06/18/2018 I-693 courtesy letter
          06/20/2018 Email "Case is ready to be scheduled for interview"
          07/08/2018 EAD card in production
          07/16/2018 EAD in hand
          07/31/2018 Interview scheduled
          09/06/2018 Interview
          09/11/2018 Letter of approval

Comment

Thanks.
            I know California allows it but other states have more requirements. Because of the current political climate some states have already started Real ID(a new type of driver's license) and have stricter policies and requirements. I personally think Republican states have heavier restrictions when it comes to driver's license. You may just have to wait on the EAD.
            Filed I-130, I130A, I-485, I-765
            Priority Date: 01/22/2018
            Date Received NOA Letters: 02/02/2018
            Courtesy Letter for i693: 02/20/2018
            Biometrics Done: 02/21/2018
            Interview(rec' approval letter): 05/31/2018
            EAD card in production: 06/02/2018
            EAD card in hand: 06/07/2018
            SSN card in hand: 06/09/2018
            GC approval/production notifications: 07/08/2018
            Card mailed notification: 07/09/2018
            I130 & I485 approval letters received: 07/09/2018
            GC in hand: 07/11/2018

Comment

Thanks. This was New York state. The front desk reviewer at DMV said our documents were okay, and even according to their internal checklist we we had more than enough. But when we sat with the clerk the first thing she did was look at the SSN card with the work permit disclaimer and said "wheres your work permit?". Without that she said no ID. And surprisingly she also said our cancelled personal check was no good because it needed to be cancelled by the bank, not by hand. As soon as I heard that I began to wonder if she was just being difficult.
              Looking at this document guide or this list from New York state, you don't seem to have any document that satisfies the Date of Birth requirement until you get an EAD or green card.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
                Looking at this document guide or this list from New York state, you don't seem to have any document that satisfies the Date of Birth requirement until you get an EAD or green card.
                It says "foreign passport with visa and I-94", which we have

Comment

It says "foreign passport with visa and I-94", which we have
                  That's only for if your I-94 and status hasn't expired yet, and you will only get a driver's license or ID until the date your status expires. Has your I-94 and status not expired yet?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
                    That's only for if your I-94 and status hasn't expired yet, and you will only get a driver's license or ID until the date your status expires. Has your I-94 and status not expired yet?
                    Ahhh, okay. She never even looked at the passport so I assumed it was good. I didnt think expiration dates were relevant to name and date of birth verification. Thanks.

Comment

Ahhh, okay. She never even looked at the passport so I assumed it was good. I didnt think expiration dates were relevant to name and date of birth verification. Thanks.
                      Status is relevant because it's not just name and DOB verification they're after. They need to know you're under a status that is eligible for a state ID, that is where the requirement for EAD or GC comes in. Some states, like Virginia that seem to have the easiest rules, allow you to show them an I-797 receipt of your I-485, but most don't allow that.
                      Marriage AOS - 2018

4-10: Sent to Chicago Lockbox
                      4-12: Arrived in Chicago
                      4-14: Picked up by USCIS
                      4-19: Email & text notifications received
                      4-23: I-797 Receipts received
                      4-27: Biometrics notice received
                      5-10: Courtesy letter for I-693
                      5-11: Biometrics completed
                      6-04: Interview scheduled
                      6-09: Received interview letter
                      7-10: Interview complete & approved, status change to New Card being Produced
                      7-13: Card was Mailed
                      7-18: Green Card in Hand

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X