Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustment help

Hi,

I am over 21 years old, my parents are us citizens.
    My stepmom got citizenship before I turned 18, my dad after I turned 21. My name was on the I130 during the paperwork for my dad's residency.
    My Dad and I lived at the same address until I was 21 when I moved because of work.
    I am currently in the US
    Is there anyway to adjust my status to permanent ?
    What's the best course of action to be taken ?

Originally posted by Jayfizze View Post
    Hi,

I am over 21 years old, my parents are us citizens.
    My stepmom got citizenship before I turned 18, my dad after I turned 21. My name was on the I130 during the paperwork for my dad's residency.
    My Dad and I lived at the same address until I was 21 when I moved because of work.
    I am currently in the US
    Is there anyway to adjust my status to permanent ?
    What's the best course of action to be taken ?
    What is your status right now? What Visa a
    did you use to enter the US?
    Filed I-130, I130A, I-485, I-765
    Priority Date: 01/22/2018
    Date Received NOA Letters: 02/02/2018
    Courtesy Letter for i693: 02/20/2018
    Biometrics Done: 02/21/2018
    Interview(rec' approval letter): 05/31/2018
    EAD card in production: 06/02/2018
    EAD card in hand: 06/07/2018
    SSN card in hand: 06/09/2018
    GC approval/production notifications: 07/08/2018
    Card mailed notification: 07/09/2018
    I130 & I485 approval letters received: 07/09/2018
    GC in hand: 07/11/2018

Comment

Originally posted by kaylip View Post
      What is your status right now? What Visa a
      did you use to enter the US?
      I entered on a B1\B2 Visa.
      My status is Visitor.

Comment

why didn't they petition you before?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

I entered on a B1\B2 Visa.
          My status is Visitor.
          If you're still in status I think it's best to return to your country and do consular processing. If you adjust here in the USA your case may take around 4-12 months for a Green Card and you will fall out of status and be miserable not having a SSN, driver's license or work legally. It will take a toll on you mentally, trust me.
          Because your parents are citizens, the process will be anywhere between 9 months to a year. You'll be able to work and have a free life in your country and when you receive your immigrant visa to go to the US, you'll get your GC & SSN within weeks. You'll be ready to start your life here without having to wait months to a year in anxiety wondering if ICE will come and deport you.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
            why didn't they petition you before?
            Misunderstanding of the law, Step mom didn't know she could petition for me alone, Dad wasn't that interested in migrating.
            There was a filing done a few years ago but they didn't submit enough supporting information on the case so it was denied, I think.
            I am curious as well to how late after a decision can a case can be reopened.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're still in status I think it's best to return to your country and do consular processing. If you adjust here in the USA your case may take around 4-12 months for a Green Card and you will fall out of status and be miserable not having a SSN, driver's license or work legally. It will take a toll on you mentally, trust me.
            Because your parents are citizens, the process will be anywhere between 9 months to a year. You'll be able to work and have a free life in your country and when you receive your immigrant visa to go to the US, you'll get your GC & SSN within weeks. You'll be ready to start your life here without having to wait months to a year in anxiety wondering if ICE will come and deport you.
            OK Thanks for the suggestion and feedback, I have about 6 months in the country and work in my country is hard to get and does not pay much.
            I am considering moving back.
            Would you suggest we get a lawyer ?

Comment

Misunderstanding of the law, Step mom didn't know she could petition for me alone, Dad wasn't that interested in migrating.
              There was a filing done a few years ago but they didn't submit enough supporting information on the case so it was denied, I think.

- - - Updated - - -

OK Thanks for the suggestion and feedback, I have about 6 months in the country and work in my country is hard to get and does not pay much.
              I am considering moving back.
              Would you suggest we get a lawyer ?
              You wouldn't really need a lawyer for that. It's pretty straight forward. Seek consultation from a lawyer on how to file, if you don't want to research and read yourself.

Comment

It is not "4-12 months" or "9 months to a year". If he is petitioned now, an unmarried over-21 child of a citizen is in the F1 category, with a 7-year wait for visa numbers for people born in most countries (longer for people born in Mexico or the Philippines). An married over-21 child of a citizen is in the F3 category, with a 12-year wait for visa numbers for people born in most countries (longer for people born in Mexico or the Philippines).

Comment

Do you know what was filed and when?

What do you mean you have about 6 months in the country? You mean you just entered the country and have 6 more months of status? Or that you entered 6 months ago and your status is about up? It sounded like from your original post that you had been living in the US a long time, e.g. talking about living with your dad before you turned 21, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
                    Do you know what was filed and when?

What do you mean you have about 6 months in the country? You mean you just entered the country and have 6 more months of status? Or that you entered 6 months ago and your status is about up? It sounded like from your original post that you had been living in the US a long time, e.g. talking about living with your dad before you turned 21, etc.

a I130 was filed in 2013.
                    I have only been living here for about a month. I visited before longest stay was about 2 months.
                    I was not here before i turned 21.
                    Last edited by Jayfizze; 07-22-2018, 09:42 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X