Medicaid during pending i-485?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medicaid during pending i-485?

My wife received her work permit last month, we just received our interview for Sept 24th.

My wife is almost 4 months pregnant, we went to an OBGYN and were planning on paying out of pocket, however the out of pocket price is much more than we expected. I am self employed and under my first year so I can't afford insurance at the moment.

Is it possible for my wife to get Medicaid? From other posts in other forums it seems it normally wouldn't be seen as a "public charge" however the posts were old and with the changing laws i'm not sure if it is a viable option.

Thank you,
    Derek

Pulled this from healthcare.gov website:

Medicaid, CHIP, and ?public charge? status
    Applying for Medicaid or CHIP, or getting savings for health insurance costs in the Marketplace, doesn?t make someone a "public charge." This means it won?t affect their chances of becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident or U.S. citizen.

There?s one exception. People receiving long-term care in an institution at government expense may face barriers getting a green card.

Have also seen a draft of policy that would make situations like this a "public charge". That's what worries me.

Comment

are you the sole sponsor for her AOS or do you have a co-sponsor? if you are the sole person sponsoring, it is recommended that you don't try and get medicaid because that could imply that you are not able to support her as her sponsor.
      This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X