Applying for a social security number after forfeiting green card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for a social security number after forfeiting green card

So my father received a green card but he forfeited it.
    Can he apply for a social security number now?
    Also he has a couple credit cards even though he never had a SSN which is weird.

Originally posted by ayshay View Post
    Also he has a couple credit cards even though he never had a SSN which is weird.
    what is his current visa status?
    This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

Originally posted by krypton9591 View Post
      what is his current visa status?

He has valid 10 years visitor visa which he always renew it

Comment

Are you sure he doesn't already have an SSN? These days they automatically apply for an SSN for people who get an immigrant visa (though it doesn't always work).

If he is in a status now that is not authorized to work in the US, he cannot get an SSN. Why does he need one now?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
          Are you sure he doesn't already have an SSN? These days they automatically apply for an SSN for people who get an immigrant visa (though it doesn't always work).

If he is in a status now that is not authorized to work in the US, he cannot get an SSN. Why does he need one now?
          He is thinking of getting a mortgage and buying rental propertys. He always visit the US for meetings and business but he doesn't work there.

He doesn't thinl he has a SSN but I am going to inquire just to make sure.

Comment

He is thinking of getting a mortgage and buying rental propertys. He always visit the US for meetings and business but he doesn't work there.
            Foreigners can buy property without needing an SSN. I am not sure about whether anyone will give him a mortgage if he doesn't live here.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
              Foreigners can buy property without needing an SSN. I am not sure about whether anyone will give him a mortgage if he doesn't live here.
              Yeah not sure if he can get the mortgage. But he had a SSN it will be easier.

Comment

he should really just re apply for his green card and not forfeit it this time
                This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

Originally posted by krypton9591 View Post
                  he should really just re apply for his green card and not forfeit it this time
                  If he wanted the Green card he would've kept it. So I guess there is no information here. It's ok to say "I don't know!"

Comment

If he wanted the Green card he would've kept it. So I guess there is no information here. It's ok to say "I don't know!"
                    What's the point of getting a GC and then forfeiting it? He either wants to be a part of American society or he doesn't. He can spend money in the US as a foreigner but the mortgage thing isn't going to work. He doesn't want to keep a GC and be a part of society but he wants to borrow money from that same society? That's not going to happen, especially without an SSN and a solid financial credit history, which he's unlikely to have.

I don't know what kind of expert advice you were expecting from here, no need to be snippy at people trying to offer advice. Trot off to an attorney if you want customized and personal advice.
                    Last edited by Tezza; 09-02-2018, 09:25 AM.
                    Marriage AOS - 2018

4-10: Sent to Chicago Lockbox
                    4-12: Arrived in Chicago
                    4-14: Picked up by USCIS
                    4-19: Email & text notifications received
                    4-23: I-797 Receipts received
                    4-27: Biometrics notice received
                    5-10: Courtesy letter for I-693
                    5-11: Biometrics completed
                    6-04: Interview scheduled
                    6-09: Received interview letter
                    7-10: Interview complete & approved, status change to New Card being Produced
                    7-13: Card was Mailed
                    7-18: Green Card in Hand

Comment

I'm sorry, I suppose you wanted a blunt answer instead of my polite recommendation which is information because that's the best way for him to get a SSN. so here's the Blunt version. as Tezza said, he obviously has no interest in being a member of society in the US or he would have kept his green card, yet even though he has not desire to be a member of this society he wants to use our money for his own gain. 1. if he doesn't want to remain here(obvious because he forfeited his green card) then why does he want property here? 2. if he has a visitor visa he is not entitled to a SSN. 3. if he doesn't have an SSN than he's not getting a mortgage period cause those are for PERMANENT RESIDENTS AND CITIZENS or those on temporary worker visas. 4. if he has no desire to stay, then in my personal opinion he shouldn't even try to buy property here and should buy property in his home country instead of wasting the Social Security office's time if he's not planning on staying. sorry if this seems to have "no information".
                      Last edited by krypton9591; 09-02-2018, 02:43 PM.

-Krypton9591

Comment

He has valid 10 years visitor visa which he always renew it
                        Your father has a VISITOR visa which means he's supposed to be here VISITING not buying property or applying for benefits. The real question here is why did he give up his green card? If he didn't get one issued when he had it then he won't get one now because he's supposed to be here only 90 days then back to his country. That's the purpose of a visitor visa.
                        Marriage based AOS concurre
                        Feb 2017 - Date received
                        Feb 2017 - RFE received
                        March 2017 - Biometrics completed
                        April 2017 - RFE response received case no longer on hold
                        April 2017 - Case is being scheduled for interview
                        May 2017 - AP/EAD received:
                        March 2018 - AP/EAD forms sent for renewal
                        Sept 2018 - AOS interview scheduled.
                        Oct 2018 - AOS interview
                        Nov 2018 - Green card in hand

Comment

No.

If he wants to buy property, he will have to do it with his own money or with a loan from his country. He is not eligible to apply for an SSN with a visitor visa.
                          2/20: Received at Chicago lockbox
                          4/04: We reviewed your biometrics and are processing your case (I-765 & I-485)
                          4/18: Ready to be scheduled for an interview (No notification, not updated on either site until Aug 27)
                          4/19: Request to expedite EAD
                          5/11: Received EAD
                          6/26: Applied for Advance Parole
                          8/09: Advance Parole approved
                          8/29: Scheduled for Interview
                          10/11: Interview
                          10/12: RFE on I-130 (misplaced G28)
                          10/16: Sent new G28
                          10/19: Approved!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X