Concurrent TN Visas and i94 Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concurrent TN Visas and i94 Record

I'm hoping someone in this forum can help answer some questions around concurrent visa status and i94 records. I've scoured Google but couldn't get too much insight.

To give some context: My first TN visa is for a full time graphic design role and I was offered a second part time designer role for a consulting firm. This firm has several clients and who I will be working with. When I applied for my second TN, I told the CBP agent that I'm applying for a concurrent part-time visa separate from my current full-time TN visa.

I went to POE first to save myself the need to go to the airport 4-5 hours early. The CBP agent at the POE refused an approval but he didn't deny me either. He based his decision on the notion that I can't work for companies beyond the consulting firm itself but the firm's sole business model is working with clients, similarly to being employed by a design agency. You work for the agency but designing for clients and I've met agency designers on a TN visa so I was a bit taken aback by his refusal of approval. He also questioned my hourly rate because it was higher than national average to which I told it's competitive for the San Francisco Bay Area. Has anyone ever experienced or heard of this before?

The next day I ended up doing what I originally didn't want to do. My flight was at 1:00pm and I got to the airport at 8:30am. This time I was approved but not after some questions because as it turned out, the POE agent flagged my application. The agent who approved my application thought nothing of me working on client projects for the firm. He even confirmed my approval with a second opinion from a supervisor. So my question here is if I got approved, does that mean that the flag from the original agent got removed? I clarified it with the agent and he said I have the stamp and should be fine but wanted to know what other people have experienced getting approved after an initial non-approval. Have you had a hard time at the border when re-entering the US?

Finally, I have a question with regards to my i94 record. I don't have hard copies of my i94 record because I've only ever went through pre-clearance. I've seen comments floating around that I need my i94 to say say employers and the expiration dates applicable to each TN. I just looked it up online and under Class of Admission it only says TN, no mention of employer or number of TNs. Anyone have insight into this?

Sorry for the essay but wanted to give full context to each question!

Well here is my 2 cent here, for the second TN approval you do not have to worry yourself as it?s been approved but you need to thread carefully- in my opinion another officer might see it as been over zealous - having two jobs/TNs, my recommendation is that you switch to a more robust visa as against TN if you want to be doing multiple jobs so you don?t have complications when entering USA as another officer might see it differently.

Secondly, I-94 doesn?t show any record on how many TNs you, it shows you the number and your last entry/arrival details that?s all.

Hope this helps

Comment

Hi guys,

Just wanted to give you some updates since I last crossed the border. I went to Mexico for a work trip and had no issue at the border. The officer stamped my visa and marked it up based on my full-time position instead of the new one.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X