Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National interest waiver

Hello,
    I am currently a post-doctoral researcher in Canada, did PhD study in Germany, and would like to apply for NIW. I checked the requirements and think that I would qualify for that.
    Can you please help me with the following questions:
    - do you think it is realistic to do this application by myself or it is important to have a lawyer? Why I am asking it seems to be very costly.
    - how long it would take and what would be the price?
    - can you please put relevant link here? I see a plenty of info in the net, not sure which one is the best.

Thanks

Originally posted by niko888 View Post
    Hello,
    I am currently a post-doctoral researcher in Canada, did PhD study in Germany, and would like to apply for NIW. I checked the requirements and think that I would qualify for that.
    Can you please help me with the following questions:
    - do you think it is realistic to do this application by myself or it is important to have a lawyer? Why I am asking it seems to be very costly.
    - how long it would take and what would be the price?
    - can you please put relevant link here? I see a plenty of info in the net, not sure which one is the best.

Thanks
    Hello,

1) It is realistic to accumulate the documents (diploma, transcript, publications, etc) and draft the recommendation letters. It is also possible to write the supporting letter for NIW but lawyers have loads of experience with it. Yes, it is very costly for what they do but you may not want to take a chance.
    2) It takes about 3 weeks once the documents are ready. The timing is really on you. You should be able to find lawyers that ask 5k for i140's. The i485's are easier and could be done by yourself when time will come.
    3) You can start with the Immigration Made Easy book. There are also some websites that help you give arguments to your NIW ... do not remember which. I know some friends who went with Zhang & Associates remotely out of Europe. It worked for them. I would not recommend mine.
    ------------------------
    May 2017: Self i140 (EB2 NIW), self (concurrent), spouse and son i485, EAD and AP submitted to Texas Center.
    End of May 2017: Notice of Action regarding submission (pending status).
    End of August 2017: EAD/AP (C9) received.
    Mid January 2018: L1/2 visas expired.
    Mid July 2018: EAD/AP (C9) renewal submission.
    End July 2018: Notice of Action regarding renewal submission
    Early September 2018: Spouse and son renewed EAP/AP (C9) received.

Comment

Thanks a lot for comprehensive information.
      If the lawyer would be involved in all the process, what price would be reasonable?

Comment

I found this one from the net, do you think it is reasonable?

SGM Law group
        EB2 Green Card Cost
        Now that we know the steps and the forms required for each one, we can compile the filing fees together to see what the total mandatory EB2 green card cost will be.

ETA 9085 (PERM) filing fee: no charge
        I-140 filing fee: $700
        I-485 filing fee: this fee varies depending on your age. See this chart to see how much your EB2 green card cost will be. On the whole, this cost ranges from $750-$1,140.
        Biometrics fee: $85 if applicable
        DS-260 filing fee: $230. This is only necessary if you are currently outside the U.S. You will also need to pay the $88 Affidavit of Support fee.
        So this brings the total EB2 green card cost to $1,450 as a best-case scenario for someone simply changing their status. If you are outside the U.S., the green card total cost could be up to $2,243. Work with your immigration attorney to determine what the fees will be for your case.

It is important to note that the I-140 fee and all costs associated with the PERM Labor Certification must be paid by your employer. However, the I-485 fee can be paid either by you or your employer. Additionally, the DS-260 and biometrics fees must be paid by you.
        Last edited by samlynn; 10-09-2018, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Need help to fiel I-765 under pending NIW

I have pending I-140 NIW. Now am applying for I-765, I-485 for EAD+AP. My wife had EAD as J2 visa status, her EAD application is pending now. What I can write in form I-765 now for pending NIW case:
          1) Permission to accept employment? or Renewal of my permission to accept employment?
          2) Have you previously filed Form I-765? (Do need to write yes and mention about EAD she has as J2 visa status)
          3) Her category will be same as mine (c) (9) ?

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
          Hello,

1) It is realistic to accumulate the documents (diploma, transcript, publications, etc) and draft the recommendation letters. It is also possible to write the supporting letter for NIW but lawyers have loads of experience with it. Yes, it is very costly for what they do but you may not want to take a chance.
          2) It takes about 3 weeks once the documents are ready. The timing is really on you. You should be able to find lawyers that ask 5k for i140's. The i485's are easier and could be done by yourself when time will come.
          3) You can start with the Immigration Made Easy book. There are also some websites that help you give arguments to your NIW ... do not remember which. I know some friends who went with Zhang & Associates remotely out of Europe. It worked for them. I would not recommend mine.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X