No announcement yet.

USA - Going on exchange on a J-1 Visa, how to stay more than 30 days after end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA - Going on exchange on a J-1 Visa, how to stay more than 30 days after end

I am an Australian applying for a J-1 visa to go on exchange at a Uni in the US for the spring semester of 2019. This visa allows me to stay for 30 days after the program ends on the 10th of May, but I would like to go to a big bluegrass music festival takes place just outside the 30 day limit.

I have found 2 possibilities so far:

Apply for J-1, leave for Canada within the 30 days and attempt to reenter with the Visa Waiver Program (risky),

Apply for J-1 and B-2 visa at the same time before going to US, but to change my status to B-2 do I need to go to Canada temporarily?

As this will be a once in a lifetime experience, I would really like to make this happen. What options are there to stay for longer? I have not applied for the J-1 visa yet as I am seeking advice on this matter.

Thank you.

J1 extension

You can not apply J1&B2 currently because these two visas count different requirements and will ajudicate different period of stay in the U.S.

However, you are safe to go your Plan 1. The following explains you how it is.
    An exchange visitor visa (J) is required to participate in an exchange visitor program in the United States. Foreign nationals may not study after entering on a visitor (B) visa or through the Visa Waiver Program (VWP)

You can re-enter U.S. when you seek entry at any other boards under VWP once your J1 expires.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X