Taking jewelry to India while travelling for wedding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking jewelry to India while travelling for wedding

Hope all is well at your end. I have couple of questions regarding taking made jewelry to India. I am a US citizen planning to visit India for a wedding. What exactly are the rules related to customs for taking jewelry?

As per below link it says that only 40gms are allowed for a women and remaining we have to pay 35% tax.

Below are few questions and concerns. Appreciate if someone can guide us.
    1. Is this rule applicable only for US citizens or anyone travelling to India?

2. From when is this rule implemented?

3. If we have all the receipts for the jewelry being carried can the tax be waived off?

4. How is it fair that we pay tax for the items that have been bought in India itself and we have already paid sales tax on them. Someone at departure should have mentioned that we have to take the “Export Certificate for Duty Free re-import items” if they have seen the jewelry in scanner while departing. I understand that not knowing the rule does not keep us away from consequences but some of them have been purchased years back, may be even before the rule was laid.

5. What is the procedure to get the “Export Certificate”? How long does it take during departure time. Other than the jewelry do they need anything else to get the certificate?

6. As mentioned at below link, if I understand it correctly it says that the certificate will expire 3 years from date of issue. Does it mean that if we visit India after 3 years we have to pay the customs tax again? And even if we visit within 3 years do we need to carry the jewelry with us even thou we do not need it for that time?

https:///export-certificate-for-duty...rt-into-india/

It would be very helpful if someone gets back on this. Thank you so much in advance and have a good day.

introduction

Hlo friends. i am new login from california

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X