Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late Filing of Foreing Earned Income

Hello guys,

I'm new to this forum and have been wondering if anyone here may have had the same issue I'm having right now.
    I'm actually an american citizen who left the US when was 6 years old and moved back some months ago. I had income in Brazilian currency (wage income) for the years of 2015, 2016 and 2017 and never filed because I thought I didn't need to. Now it came to my knowledge that I actually needed to have done that and now I'm trying to fix this problem by myself since I don't have money to pay an accountant right now (they ask for at least $1,000 to file for the 3 years).

So, basically after applying the FEIE (Foreign Earned Income Exclusion), I wouldn't have any tax due. Thereby, I need to make a late filing for all these past 3 years and at the same time ask for the exclusion.

Is there anyone familiar with these forms that can help me? I basically want to know how to file properly file the late 1040 and 2555 (FEIE) forms and if I should go with the Streamlined Procedures (not sure, since I wouldn't owe any tax after the exclusion).

Thanks in advance!!

Because you did not earn income for those years in USA, there is no way for Internal Revenue Service to know that. By law, if you worked in USA, the employer will issue you a Form W-2 and the IRS will know about that as the employer will be required to file what is know as Forms 941. Where is a USA citizen when you left USA? If you were born, then there should be no problem for you as you are a bonafide citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodoma1950 View Post
      Because you did not earn income for those years in USA, there is no way for Internal Revenue Service to know that. By law, if you worked in USA, the employer will issue you a Form W-2 and the IRS will know about that as the employer will be required to file what is know as Forms 941. Where is a USA citizen when you left USA? If you were born, then there should be no problem for you as you are a bonafide citizen.
      You are required to file and pay taxes on your income as required by law no matter if you think the IRS "knows about it" or not.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X