Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-140 Approved, Employer not sharing I-140 Copy

All,

My I-140 was approved in Nov. Planning to switch jobs in the next few months after the 180 day wait period to retain priority date.

The situation is my current employer is not willing to share the I-140 Approval notice as per company policy.

I have the following questions. Please suggest. Thank you.

1. Am I not entitled to receive the copy of this approval notice by law?
    2. Assuming I am not entitled, what info from this I-140 approval notice is needed by me to provide to the future employer in order to ensure my current priority date can be retained when I-140 is filed again by new employer?
    3. Current employer asks for a specific reason why the approval notice needs to be shared. Can anyone suggest what reason can be told without mentioning i am looking out for new job?
    4. Are there any other alternatives on how the copy can be obtained?

Awaiting your response.

Thank you!!!

Originally posted by username11 View Post
    All,

My I-140 was approved in Nov. Planning to switch jobs in the next few months after the 180 day wait period to retain priority date.

The situation is my current employer is not willing to share the I-140 Approval notice as per company policy.

I have the following questions. Please suggest. Thank you.

1. Am I not entitled to receive the copy of this approval notice by law?
    2. Assuming I am not entitled, what info from this I-140 approval notice is needed by me to provide to the future employer in order to ensure my current priority date can be retained when I-140 is filed again by new employer?
    3. Current employer asks for a specific reason why the approval notice needs to be shared. Can anyone suggest what reason can be told without mentioning i am looking out for new job?
    4. Are there any other alternatives on how the copy can be obtained?

Awaiting your response.

Thank you!!!
    I do not have experience for I-140 but only I-130.
    But I think legally you have right to all the notices USCIS sends.
    You can change jobs or employer if you like & your current employer has no authority to stop you from doing so.
    You can maybe make an InfoPass appointment to the office you submitted your paperwork & get a copy from there or call USCIS service desk with your receipt number in hand & ask them to send you a copy as well?
    Or consult an immigration lawyer.
    Either way I'm not sure about this but this is not a banana republic where an employer can withhold your immigration documents so that you cannot leave him.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X