Beware of what "pre-existing" means

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of what "pre-existing" means

Wanted to share my experience with IMGlobal and patriot america plus insurance which will hopefully save folks some money.

I purchased the patriot america plus plan for my parents (indian citizens) visiting USA (have been doing for past several years). I bought that plan as it was comprehensive, had PPO network and covered "acute onset" of pre-existing conditions. My mom had no "pre-existing" condition and she always got a full medical checkup and a clean bill of health from one of the best hospitals in India before visiting US and I have all of the records. This time unfortunately, she had a a cardiac arrest while in US and had to under go emergent bypass surgery.

I had a horrible experience working through IMG and seeing the ugly side of american healthcare system. First they denied the "pre-approval" for surgery which takes a whopping 5 days to process. So you've already had the surgery by the time they decide on even the pre-approval. The reason for denial was "pre-existing" condition. They also denied all the claims after the fact as "pre-existing" as well. No explanation for how they came to that conclusion. Just the 2 words - "pre-existing".

I went through their appeal process and submitted mom's comprehensive medical records for last 3 years which showed all her vitals, labs in green. They finally gave me an answer that heart conditions are considered chronic. Even if the patient didn't know about it, and none of the tests showed it, artery blockage doesn't happen overnight. Wow.. Human bodies deteriorate over time. So from that perspective everything (short of an accident) in the world is pre-existing.

I have given up on the fight with IMG and patriot america. Hopefully this review will help people save some money or at least be informed of the risks. My recommendation would be to never invite parents over unless you can buy a comprehensive plan which covers pre-existing conditions for travelers. And that does not exist to the best of my knowledge.

Re: Beware of what "pre-existing" means

I would recommend contacting Insubuy for assistance with your claim issue.

They offer claims resolution assistance to their customers that could help for this very situation. Give them a call and explain what is going on and maybe they can help. Here is more information and their phone number.

Claims Help FAQ: https://www.insubuy.com/visitors-insurance-claims-help/

Number: (866)INSUBUY 467-8289

I know you would be happy with their service!

~Antonise~

Comment

Originally posted by ihelp10 View Post
      Wanted to share my experience with IMGlobal and patriot america plus insurance which will hopefully save folks some money.

I purchased the patriot america plus plan for my parents (indian citizens) visiting USA (have been doing for past several years). I bought that plan as it was comprehensive, had PPO network and covered "acute onset" of pre-existing conditions. My mom had no "pre-existing" condition and she always got a full medical checkup and a clean bill of health from one of the best hospitals in India before visiting US and I have all of the records. This time unfortunately, she had a a cardiac arrest while in US and had to under go emergent bypass surgery.

I had a horrible experience working through IMG and seeing the ugly side of american healthcare system. First they denied the "pre-approval" for surgery which takes a whopping 5 days to process. So you've already had the surgery by the time they decide on even the pre-approval. The reason for denial was "pre-existing" condition. They also denied all the claims after the fact as "pre-existing" as well. No explanation for how they came to that conclusion. Just the 2 words - "pre-existing".

I went through their appeal process and submitted mom's comprehensive medical records for last 3 years which showed all her vitals, labs in green. They finally gave me an answer that heart conditions are considered chronic. Even if the patient didn't know about it, and none of the tests showed it, artery blockage doesn't happen overnight. Wow.. Human bodies deteriorate over time. So from that perspective everything (short of an accident) in the world is pre-existing.

I have given up on the fight with IMG and patriot america. Hopefully this review will help people save some money or at least be informed of the risks. My recommendation would be to never invite parents over unless you can buy a comprehensive plan which covers pre-existing conditions for travelers. And that does not exist to the best of my knowledge.
      I would talk to a lawyer about this. Why giving up so early?
      AOS C9, Houston TX

PD: 08/01
      Fingerprinted: 08/17
      RFIE sent: 11/07
      Responsed to RFIE received: 12/04
      Request for expedition on I765: 12/07
      Evidence faxed: 12/10

Comment

Originally posted by ihelp10 View Post

ihelp10, we're sorry IMG didn't meet your expectations. We value your feedback and take concerns such as yours very seriously. However, we are required to administer our insurance plans in accordance with their terms and conditions, including all exclusions and limitations. While we will not discuss the details of your claim in a public form, please send us a private message and we can look further into your situation. - IMG

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X