• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change name during the interview

hello everyone
    I am living in San Francisco, ca
    I just filled my n400 for me and my wife and kids
    and i request to change our last name for all of us and the first name of my wife for a different speeling, as i wrote that in the n-400

is that possible or not?

i heard that the officer could deny that

plesae share with me what to do

Originally posted by michaelif View Post
    hello everyone
    and i request to change our last name for all of us and the first name of my wife for a different speeling, as i wrote that in the n-400

is that possible or not?

IMHO, you are only allowed to change your own name once for free, during your interview.
    As far as your wife and children, they are a separate matter. You are welcome to ask the immigration officer and see what he or she says. IMHO, your wife is an adult, so you may not have the right to change her name for her, even though she may have given you verbal permission to do so. I do not know of any section in the N400 that allows you to change the names of family members during your personal naturalization appointment. Consult an attorney or paralegal.

I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelif View Post
      hello everyone

is that possible or not?

They will ask you the same question during the interview. The request will not be denied.

Comment

Originally posted by suziq38 View Post
        IMHO, you are only allowed to change your own name once for free, during your interview.
        As far as your wife and children, they are a separate matter. You are welcome to ask the immigration officer and see what he or she says. IMHO, your wife is an adult, so you may not have the right to change her name for her, even though she may have given you verbal permission to do so. I do not know of any section in the N400 that allows you to change the names of family members during your personal naturalization appointment. Consult an attorney or paralegal.

I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice.
        I am not a mind reader, but it seems to me that the Poster was simply asking if he fills out the form ON BEHALF OF HER WIFE to request name change and she signs it, I don't see why this cannot be done. I filled out the form for my wife and I and she signed it and we are now USC... not rocket science and not illegal.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X