Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaving the US while waiting for permanent resident cared (green card)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving the US while waiting for permanent resident cared (green card)

Hi, my father got his permanent resident card approved. He is supposed to receive his green card 15 days after he enters the US. He entered the US on Dec.24.18. He was supposed to stay until 01/09/18, however, he has an emergency and has to leave the US. Can I mail him the green card once I receive it? Please any answer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Originally posted by carlalopez View Post
    Hi, my father got his permanent resident card approved. He is supposed to receive his green card 15 days after he enters the US. He entered the US on Dec.24.18. He was supposed to stay until 01/09/18, however, he has an emergency and has to leave the US. Can I mail him the green card once I receive it? Please any answer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!
    Yes, you can mail it to him. But he actually already has proof of permanent residency with him -- his immigrant visa, upon entry, turned into an I-551 valid until 1 year after he entered. This is equivalent to the plastic green card (which is also an I-551) in every way. So his immigrant visa, with the entry stamp already serves all the purpose that the plastic card serves as until Dec. 24, 2019. Until then, it doesn't matter that he doesn't have the card.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X