Renew/ Re issue a reentry permit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renew/ Re issue a reentry permit

I am a lawful permanent resident since the mid 2016. Since then I have visited the USA 2 additional times for short periods. During October 2016 I was issued a travel document which is valid until the mid February 2019 . Currently I live outside the states and it is the main country of residence for me and my family. Initially we planned to move to the states by the February 2019, but I have received a job offer to another country .We intend to stay there for 2 to 4 years. After that we might move to the states.

We have a few questions:

1. I know I can't extend my travel document, but from my understanding I can issue a new one. What are our options?
    a. Do I need To enter the states prior to the mid February 2019 and send a new I-131 from there, await for an invitation, pay the the fees and Then travel again to the states for the biometric appointment (again)? If that is the case, how can I enter the states the second time?
    b. Is there a way to extend without entering the states? If so, how do I extend it and when should I do so considering the fact that it is expired mid February 2019.

2. Do you think that it would be better to go through the entire process of getting a green card after February since we are not sure if we will live there eventually?
    a. If I go with this option, is it possible for me to enter the US with a tourist visa before beginning the process?

3. Is there any other option that we haven't considered here?

Thanks in advance!

From what it sounds like, you are at risk of being deemed to have abandoned your LPR status. I suspect re-applying gor a new re-entry permit might raise an investigation as to whether you have met the residency requirement to keep your GC.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X