help!! Just a simple answer as to what is needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help!! Just a simple answer as to what is needed

My wife and I have been separated for a little over year, we were in the process of divorce. She is from Hong Kong, where she is now. We have since reconciled, and she needs to get back here to the United States from Hong Kong. She needs to get a travel document. Since her green card has expired. She filled out an I-131 form, but when she took to the embassy, they said it was the wrong form, that she needed to apply for a visa? Looking in their website, it said a K-1 visa, do we really have to go through all that again?

she needs a returning resident form
    This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

Originally posted by louiez View Post
      My wife and I have been separated for a little over year, we were in the process of divorce. She is from Hong Kong, where she is now. We have since reconciled, and she needs to get back here to the United States from Hong Kong. She needs to get a travel document. Since her green card has expired. She filled out an I-131 form, but when she took to the embassy, they said it was the wrong form, that she needed to apply for a visa? Looking in their website, it said a K-1 visa, do we really have to go through all that again?
      If you are not divorced, you cannot apply for K1 because you cannot marry her if you are already married to her. You should cancel your divorce, remain married, and then you have to re-file the I-130 and wait for approval and then do CP.

alternatively I guess you could divorce and then file K1 and remarry her. I don't know if that would raise a red flag or not.

Edit: This assumes that not only is her GC expired, but she has abandoned LPR status. This may or may not be the case, I don't know from what you've said.
      2/20: Received at Chicago lockbox
      4/04: We reviewed your biometrics and are processing your case (I-765 & I-485)
      4/18: Ready to be scheduled for an interview (No notification, not updated on either site until Aug 27)
      4/19: Request to expedite EAD
      5/11: Received EAD
      6/26: Applied for Advance Parole
      8/09: Advance Parole approved
      8/29: Scheduled for Interview
      10/11: Interview
      10/12: RFE on I-130 (misplaced G28)
      10/16: Sent new G28
      10/19: Approved!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X