Naturalization Timeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naturalization Timeline

I became US LPR in June 2013. Between March 2014 and February 2015 I stayed outside the US for 11 continuous months to complete high school back in my country. Since 2015 I have been outside the US only once for 20 days. When is the right time for me to fill N400 form? Should I wait one more year and file in February 2020 or can I just submit now? Btw, my father filed his US tax return while I was outside US.

Originally posted by oporanho19 View Post
    I became US LPR in June 2013. Between March 2014 and February 2015 I stayed outside the US for 11 continuous months to complete high school back in my country. Since 2015 I have been outside the US only once for 20 days. When is the right time for me to fill N400 form? Should I wait one more year and file in February 2020 or can I just submit now? Btw, my father filed his US tax return while I was outside US.
    Given the information that you provided, if I were you, to be on the safe side, submit on May 2019, 90 days before you are eligible is the very earliest.

For example, on your Green Card, it states Jun 1, 2013... normally, you are eligible as of Jun 1, 2018; but since you left for over 6 months (11 months in this case), then your eligibility gets delayed by 11 months - you may have to count to the exact days) so that would make it approximately May 1, 2019. You can then apply 90 days PRIOR TO MAY 1, 2019 (you will need to count the exact days you were out of US)... this is only a rough example.

Comment

I had the exact same situation. I completed high school in my home country for a year and applied a little early. I got denied and they said you have to wait until the 4 year one day rules applies to me. 4 year one day rule is for people who have broken their continous residence. My dad also filed tax when i was out but that does not matter. I just appled Jan 29 because i moved back on jan 27, 2015. The four year one day rule now applies to me.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X