Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total Assets Question I-864

Hi,

I am planning to move to the US (I am a US citizen) with my spouse (non US citizen) and my child (born abroad but obtained US Citizenship through CBRA process).

I would not be obtaining a job before moving to the US, so I have a question regarding the income requirements.

It says the value of the assets must be five times the shortfall in income, unless a U/S. citizen is sponsoring his/her spouse or minor child. In that case the assets must total only three times the shortfall.

According the 2018 Poverty Guidelines, the minimum income requirement for a household of 3 (at 125%) would be $25,975. So, in order to qualify without a joint sponsor, we would need to show at least $77,925 in assets, correct?

I understand that value should be in fairly liquid assets (convertible to cash within a year).

We would have well above that value in savings alone, so I just want to make sure we can proceed without a joint sponsor.

Thanks!

I had originally planned to do the same with my wife. I had over 56,000 in cash savings, and 250,000 in investments that could potentially be liquidated.

However I decided to get a job first for three reasons:

1. I could not find a testimonial, from ANYONE who had tried it.
    2. I posted the same question (maybe on here), and NOBODY answered.
    3. I needed a domicile. If you do not have an address, a USA bank account, a USA driver license, a registered vehicle in the USA, or anything else, then you cannot show evidence of a domicile.

Here is what I did: I filed the i130 petition. It was approved. Then I moved back to the USA, got a job, then I submitted the 260 (visa application) and 864 (affidavit of support). My wife was here in six months. It would have been three months if I had not sent an incorrect document (set us back two weeks), and the embassy not lost her passport for two months.

One last thing. If you have not filed a USA tax return every year, then you might have a problem. The 864 asks for tax info covering the last three years, and you must provide your 1040 as well as your W2 (or equivalent) for 2018. I think that specific question should get its own thread (if applicable).

Good luck
    Last edited by linuxpro; 01-18-2019, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxpro View Post
      I had originally planned to do the same with my wife. I had over 56,000 in cash savings, and 250,000 in investments that could potentially be liquidated.

However I decided to get a job first for three reasons:

1. I could not find a testimonial, from ANYONE who had tried it.
      2. I posted the same question (maybe on here), and NOBODY answered.
      3. I needed a domicile. If you do not have an address, a USA bank account, a USA driver license, a registered vehicle in the USA, or anything else, then you cannot show evidence of a domicile.

Here is what I did: I filed the i130 petition. It was approved. Then I moved back to the USA, got a job, then I submitted the 260 (visa application) and 864 (affidavit of support). My wife was here in six months. It would have been three months if I had not sent an incorrect document (set us back two weeks), and the embassy not lost her passport for two months.

One last thing. If you have not filed a USA tax return every year, then you might have a problem. The 864 asks for tax info covering the last three years, and you must provide your 1040 as well as your W2 (or equivalent) for 2018. I think that specific question should get its own thread (if applicable).

Good luck
      Thanks for the reply. The biggest thing for our family is we have a young child and we don't want to spend 3-6 months apart from each other. It would be extremely difficult on all of us.

In our situation, we do have family we can live with at first, I still have my bank account and credit card open there and it would be easy to get my driver's license back. I could also register my child in school. I feel that should be enough evidence to prove domicile even without employment.

But, surely there must be a way to move back to the US without a job if you have the required savings. That way we can minimize the wait time. But, ya, I'm still searching for someone that has done it so far.

In terms of setting up domicile, can my spouse join me in the US to do so or do they have to remain out of the country the entire time? If they could at least come, bring our child and help me set everything up, that would go a long way.

Comment

Good it sounds like you have the domicile covered.

I hope you find someone who has done it, and can share the experience with you. Maybe try searching on more search engines like DuckDuckGo.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X