Going to apply L1B while my passport only has 16 month validity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to apply L1B while my passport only has 16 month validity

My company is currently helping me apply L-1B visa. But I find my passport is going to expire in another 16 month (May, 2020). The attorney just tell me I can apply L-1B visa as long as there is 6 month passport validity.

But I have following concerns after I know from others that the 'Admit Util Date' in I-94 has to be 6 month earlier than my passport expiry date.

1) Will my passport validity affect the length of issued L-1B visa?
    2) If the issued I-94 has to expire in Nov 2019, do I have to leave US and reenter using my renewed passport? And if that is the case, do I need to reapply L-1B visa at that time?

thanks in advance.

Originally posted by carr View Post
    1) Will my passport validity affect the length of issued L-1B visa?
    Visa validity & I94 validity are different things. Your visa validity might not be impacted, however your I94 validity can be same as your passport validity.
    Once you are in USA, you can have your passport renewed in USA & apply for extension of your stay after that.
    My suggestion would be to renew your passport first - as you avoid need of carrying both passports together (one passport with visa & other with valid dates)

Originally posted by carr View Post
    2) If the issued I-94 has to expire in Nov 2019, do I have to leave US and reenter using my renewed passport? And if that is the case, do I need to reapply L-1B visa at that time?
    As I mentioned above, you can renew passport & extend your I94 within USA itself (no need to leave USA). Visa stays valid in old passport.

Hope this helps, let me know if any further clarification needed.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X