Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for Initial Evidence (I-485)

Hi all.

Following our successful K-1 visa application and submitting the I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status), we received a Request for Initial Evidence (I-485), stating the following.

"The petitioning sponsor ... must submit a complete Federal income tax return submitted to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for the most recent tax year."

We have 87 days to submit (as of January 28th).

We are currently working through our tax returns for 2018 (and I have another thread for that), but we are unsure whether the above is asking for the same thing, or whether it is asking for my wife's tax return for 2017, as that was the most recently submitted return. We have checked and think that we may not have submitted my spouse's 1040 for 2017 along with the I-485 application - but did submit other tax-related evidence (e.g. W-2s for previous years).

Are they asking for:
    A) The 1040 for the tax year of 2017. If so, great. We can't find a copy of the 1040, but we know we can obtain transcripts from the IRS, so we will do that.
    B) A tax return for the year of 2018. If so, we are currently working through this, but still working out how best to apply, and this may take a few weeks.

It is a bit irritating that the letter does not specifically say "2017" or "2018". Because of the time we are applying, the "most recent tax year" can be taken two ways.

The letter also states that we must submit all of the requested evidence at one time, so we do not want to get this wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by MDrabik; 02-04-2019, 10:13 AM.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X