Renewing re-entry permit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renewing re-entry permit

Hello. my current (first) re-entry permit for USA expires on March 27. I need to renew my re-entry permit for the second time for personal/family reasons. I will arrive in USA on March 1st to be physically present in USA when I submit the 1-131 for my second re-entry permit.
    1) I need to leave USA 3 days after I mail my re-entry permit to DHS. Can I mail the 1-131 by FedEx so that it quickly arrives at DHS before I leave (Ie within 2 days). I was advised to mail it via registered mail but this will take longer and may arrive at DHS AFTER I leave USA.
    2) Since my current and first Re-entry permit expires on March 27 and I am mailing/submitting form I-131 for the second time before the first I-131 expires, do I need to also mail my first/unexpired re-entry permit as well?
    3)What else must I do?
    Thank you in advance.

Originally posted by Hando View Post
    Hello. my current (first) re-entry permit for USA expires on March 27. I need to renew my re-entry permit for the second time for personal/family reasons. I will arrive in USA on March 1st to be physically present in USA when I submit the 1-131 for my second re-entry permit.
    1) I need to leave USA 3 days after I mail my re-entry permit to DHS. Can I mail the 1-131 by FedEx so that it quickly arrives at DHS before I leave (Ie within 2 days). I was advised to mail it via registered mail but this will take longer and may arrive at DHS AFTER I leave USA.
    2) Since my current and first Re-entry permit expires on March 27 and I am mailing/submitting form I-131 for the second time before the first I-131 expires, do I need to also mail my first/unexpired re-entry permit as well?
    3)What else must I do?
    Thank you in advance.
    What did you find/ do.

In same bot but 2 months from now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hando View Post
      3)What else must I do?
      Thank you in advance.
      According to my understanding of the I-131 Re-entry permit process (My opinion, not legal advice) the function of "renewing" a re-entry permit does not exist. USCIS handles each application of form I-131 independent of others. Therefore you must follow the instructions for I-131 as they are laid out by USCIS, ensuring that you:

1. Are physically present in the U.S. at the time your form is filled (so yes, you need to send it in during the 3 day window you are in the US, and ensure that you send it via fedEx overnight to that it can arrive to the USCIS Lockbox, be opened, and stamped with date of reception before you leave the US. Make sure to send it with tracking number and confirmation of reception - this will help later on see point 3)

2. Advice out there varies on this question but the most common course of action I have seen in research is to not mail in your current reentry permit, so you can still use it while your application is being processed. If the adjudication of your application happens while your current reentry permit is still valid then USCIS will send you a RFE asking for the document to be surrendered. If you need to travel to the US while the application is being processed, to return for your biometrics appointment, or if you are denied the reentry permit due to not being in the U.S. then the FedEx tracking and delivery information could be used as evidence to support your claim that you filed while physically present in the U.S. It'd be better to be safe then sorry so I would recommend extending your 3 day travel to the U.S. if at all possible. (See: https://www.i131reentrypermit.com/20...rent-document/)

3. Make sure you follow all the directions from the official USCIS instructions for I-131, save copies of all forms/paperwork, and document everything

Comment

An update, for others I am in USA now living the nightmare..
        April 29th 2019 Applied i131 on
        April 30th 2019 postal delivery of application
        May 6th 2019 Receipt Notice sent
        May 11th 2019 Receipt Notice received
        Radio silence since

Return Flight booked for 4th June.. will have to be postponed.

Comment

Originally posted by worldbest View Post
          An update, for others I am in USA now living the nightmare..
          April 29th 2019 Applied i131 on
          April 30th 2019 postal delivery of application
          May 6th 2019 Receipt Notice sent
          May 11th 2019 Receipt Notice received
          Radio silence since

Return Flight booked for 4th June.. will have to be postponed.
          Hello!, can you update what has happened with your case, i am in the same situation.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X