Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overseas assignment from employer after filling n400

Hi forum members,

I will reach 5 year mark after employment based green card in October 2019 and as of now have spent most of the last five years in the US. I am getting an opportunity to go on an overseas assignment to India for 2 years, from a large US silicon valley tech company. I will be on the payroll in the US.

I can plan on starting the travels after filling and biometric appointment. But I will be traveling back and forth after that and could be spending more than 365 days in India during the two years.

Researching online, looks like I could qualify for form n470 (https://www.uscis.gov/n-470)
    Specifically:
    ------
    Use this form if you are a lawful permanent resident who must leave the United States for a period of one year or longer for certain employment purposes and you want to preserve your status as an immigrant in order to pursue naturalization.

?Certain employment purposes? includes working for:

The U.S. government.
    An entity that is currently recognized by USCIS as an American institution of research.
    An American firm or corporation (or a subsidiary of that firm or corporation) where you engage in developing the foreign trade and commerce of the United States.
    ---------

I am looking for guidance on two aspects:
    - does a large public tech company (egs. Amazon, ********, Google etc) qualify for the above criteria from a green card perspective?
    - does this endanger the n 400 application, which will get adjudicated during this period.

I expect I will be discussing with a lawyer, but wanted to get started here. Thanks for your help!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X