Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my vacation effect citizenship eligibility

Hello all,

I currently live in USA and I will be eligible to apply for citizenship in March 2020 but due to some personal family related problems I want to take a 3 month vacation and go abroad to live with my family. If I take this vacation from June 2019 to September 2019, will this in any way affect my eligibility to apply for citizenship in March 2020? Also, how long do I have to live in USA during the 5 year residency requirement before I can apply for citizenship? Please help me with these questions.

Thank you.
    Last edited by osac; 02-12-2019, 03:32 PM.

Originally posted by osac View Post
    Hello all,

I currently live in USA and I will be eligible to apply for citizenship in March 2020 but due to some personal family related problems I want to take a 3 month vacation and go abroad to live with my family. If I take this vacation from June 2019 to September 2019, will this in any way affect my eligibility to apply for citizenship in March 2020? Also, how long do I have to live in USA for during the 5 year residency requirement before I can apply for citizenship? Please help me with these questions.

Thank you.
    There are two main requirements for naturalization: continuous residence and physical presence. An absence of less than 6 months generally does not interrupt continuous residence, so you are fine there. For physical presence, you only need 2.5 years out of the last 5 years, and unless you have been outside the US a lot, chances are you have way more than that, so a little vacation won't cause you to go below.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Continuous presence

Thank you for the answer. I have heard that it is the last 2.5 years that you have to spend continuously in the US before applying for citizenship. Is that true or is it a total of 2.5 out of 5 years?

Comment

Originally posted by osac View Post
        Thank you for the answer. I have heard that it is the last 2.5 years that you have to spend continuously in the US before applying for citizenship. Is that true or is it a total of 2.5 out of 5 years?
        No. It's "continuous residence" for the last 5 years, and "physical presence" for a cumulative total of 2.5 years out of the last 5 years.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X