Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car accident at fault n400 question

Hello ,
    I was in an at-fault car accident for failing to yield left. I received a ticket and since this was my first traffic incident, I took defense driving class and was able to dismiss it .
    Now as i am filing n400 ,
    a question is -

Have you EVER been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including any immigration official or any official of the U.S. armed forces) for any reason?
    yes or no

should I say yes as I was cited/ticketed? However, it was a minor traffic thing so i feel like saying no but would like to know the forum members opinions.

Originally posted by sarveshspace View Post
    Hello ,
    I was in an at-fault car accident for failing to yield left. I received a ticket and since this was my first traffic incident, I took defense driving class and was able to dismiss it .
    a question is -

Have you EVER been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including any immigration official or any official of the U.S. armed forces) for any reason?
    yes or no

should I say yes as I was cited/ticketed? However, it was a minor traffic thing so i feel like saying no but would like to know the forum members opinions.
    Did a police officer give you a ticket or not? Just because you were at fault in an accident doesn't mean you got a ticket. If you got a ticket, answer Yes; otherwise, answer No. You do not need to provide documentation if the fine of the ticket was less than $500. It will not affect your naturalization.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

car accident at fault n400 question

Hello ,
      a question is -

yes or no

Hi,

You should say yes since it involved law enforcement, there is a area in the form to include notes and you should include the information that you were in a traffic accident and it was dismissed. The immigration officer will most likely dismiss it when you are at the interview. It is important to include it because if you plan of applying for citizenship later on you could be denied for not disclosing this information. I got this information from my lawyer. My wife got a traffic ticket and during the green card interview, the interviewer asked for the info, and we provided them the documents showing the ticket and the dismissal. The interview decided to change the document to say no on cited/ticketed and left a note on the form. it is good insurance for later immigration processes to cover all of your bases that you have disclosed all information.

Comment

Are there any possibilities to get rid of this "bad reputation"? Because I also have problems after I got ticketed. Can I return to a normal life?

Comment

Hello ,
          a question is -

yes or no

You received a ticket (per your post). So, you should answer YES
          You also need to enter the disposition as "dismissed upon taking online driving class"
          Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by forGroov View Post
            Are there any possibilities to get rid of this "bad reputation"? Because I also have problems after I got ticketed. Can I return to a normal life?
            What reputation are you referring to ?
            If you get a ticket, were jailed, arrested or committed an offense, you need to declare it in the immigration process (especially I-485 & N400 where asked on the forms). It does not matter if a judge dismissed, expunged or sealed the record.
            For bigger violations (bodily injury to others, traffic accidents & fines >$500, theft, larceny, arrests, etc.) you need to get the police / court records, regardless of the disposition.
            Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Totally yes. Considering there was law enforcement involved, you shouldn't say no. But it's essential to include in the form details about the accident. Don't forget to mention it was dismissed. If you are going to apply for citizenship later, you may have problems not revealing this data. However, this is strictly my supposition. Consider I'm not aware of legal regulations. It would be better to check with an attorney.
              Last edited by CrazyBlack; 12-14-2022, 05:24 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X