Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!! Re-entry permit denied. I don't want to lose my green card. What should I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!! Re-entry permit denied. I don't want to lose my green card. What should I do?

I am a US permanent resident (green card holder), and my husband is a US citizen. We moved to Japan in October 2016 for his job.
    Before moving, I applied for a re-entry permit. The initial re-entry permit expired in late January 2019. But I applied for a new one in September 2018. I
    wasn't able to travel to the US in September (my husband mailed it during one of his business trips). But I did go there in December 2018 for my biometrics
    appointment. I thought everything was good until I just received a letter in the mail a few days ago saying my application has been denied because I was
    outside the US when it was filed. I have 33 days to appeal.

I have researched my options, and I think I have 4.

(1) I can file Form I-290B to appeal. I think the likelihood of winning is very low, is this true?

(2) I can do nothing for now, then file Form DS-117 to apply for SB-1 returning resident visa when I want to return to the US. Again, I think the likelihood of getting this is very low, is this true? Also, if I wait too long, I'm afraid I might lose my green card.

(3) I can go to the US and reapply for a re-entry permit. I have a valid green card, but my re-entry permit is expired. Will they let me in if I don't have a valid re-entry permit? Or worse, will they take my green card? If they will let me in without too much trouble, then how long can I wait before I go there and re-apply?

(4) I can do nothing. I was just in the US 2 months ago and I have a valid green card. So shouldn't I be able to stay outside of the US with nothing except my green card for up to a year? So maybe I can go there this summer, then return annually to reset the 1-year clock?

I'm sure there are others that have had to deal with this same thing. Can anyone give me advice?

C999

Denied Reentry Permit after being explicitly told by the US consulate that it was ok

I have a similar issue so I'm very interested to know if you find a solution. I check and doubled checked with the US consulate in Rome who said in a series of emails that I could apply while abroad and do my biometrics in Rome. Now my application has been denied likely for the reason that I was abroad and I'm trying to understand what recourse I have considering that I got explicit consent from the US consulate.

Comment

Originally posted by C999 View Post
      I am a US permanent resident (green card holder), and my husband is a US citizen. We moved to Japan in October 2016 for his job.
      Before moving, I applied for a re-entry permit. The initial re-entry permit expired in late January 2019. But I applied for a new one in September 2018. I
      wasn't able to travel to the US in September (my husband mailed it during one of his business trips). But I did go there in December 2018 for my biometrics
      appointment. I thought everything was good until I just received a letter in the mail a few days ago saying my application has been denied because I was
      outside the US when it was filed. I have 33 days to appeal.

I have researched my options, and I think I have 4.

(1) I can file Form I-290B to appeal. I think the likelihood of winning is very low, is this true?

(2) I can do nothing for now, then file Form DS-117 to apply for SB-1 returning resident visa when I want to return to the US. Again, I think the likelihood of getting this is very low, is this true? Also, if I wait too long, I'm afraid I might lose my green card.

(3) I can go to the US and reapply for a re-entry permit. I have a valid green card, but my re-entry permit is expired. Will they let me in if I don't have a valid re-entry permit? Or worse, will they take my green card? If they will let me in without too much trouble, then how long can I wait before I go there and re-apply?

(4) I can do nothing. I was just in the US 2 months ago and I have a valid green card. So shouldn't I be able to stay outside of the US with nothing except my green card for up to a year? So maybe I can go there this summer, then return annually to reset the 1-year clock?

I'm sure there are others that have had to deal with this same thing. Can anyone give me advice?

C999
      My recommendation would be to go for options 3 or 4. 1 & 2 are very low probability. No one but an immigration court judge can take your GC away. You should be good for option 4. Letting in anyone other than a citizen is at the discretion of the CBP officer. Having said that, you should have no problems getting in, since you have been in the US just a couple of months ago, which would have reset your clock. Even otherwise, usually GC holders who demonstrate strong ties to the US are let in with a warning even after long absences.
      Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I will try to make an appointment at the US Embassy here to ask them about this. It sounds like Option 4 will probably work fine. I just want to make sure there isn't some specific date I need to travel back there by.

C999

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X