Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusion on visas needed to marry US citizen

Hi there,

My fiancee and I have been collecting and organising much of the needed paperwork to apply for first the I-129F petition, and then for me to apply for a K1 fiance visa. Until recently, these were the two things we believed that we needed in order for me (UK citizen) to marry my fiancee (US citizen).

This was until recently I was informed that since I do NOT intend to immigrate to the USA after we are married (my work here doesn't allow that), that I could actually travel to the USA under the visa-waiver program and marry her there, providing I could prove I intend to return to the UK after marriage. Is this true? This surely would save a lot of trouble with paperwork and waiting times. This revelation seems to have taken the weight of the world from our shoulders if true.

What happens if I wished to immigrate to the USA at a later date, perhaps a year from now? Two years from now? Right now I have a position where my contract expires mid-2020, so until then, I am remaining in the UK.

If true, what paperwork would I need to get married? What documents do I need to provide to the registrar whom intends to wed us both?

Kind regards,
    L
    Last edited by Astra48; 02-13-2019, 09:31 PM.

Originally posted by Astra48 View Post
    Hi there,

My fiancee and I have been collecting and organising much of the needed paperwork to apply for first the I-129F petition, and then for me to apply for a K1 fiance visa. Until recently, these were the two things we believed that we needed in order for me (UK citizen) to marry my fiancee (US citizen).

This was until recently I was informed that since I do NOT intend to immigrate to the USA after we are married (my work here doesn't allow that), that I could actually travel to the USA under the visa-waiver program and marry her there, providing I could prove I intend to return to the UK after marriage. Is this true? This surely would save a lot of trouble with paperwork and waiting times. This revelation seems to have taken the weight of the world from our shoulders if true.
    It is true, but whether you will be able to enter depends on whether the officer believes you will leave after marrying instead of staying and filing for Adjustment of Status.

What happens if I wished to immigrate to the USA at a later date, perhaps a year from now? Two years from now? Right now I have a position where my contract expires mid-2020, so until then, I am remaining in the UK.
    Your spouse will file an I-130 petition for you, and after that is approved, you will go through Consular Processing at the US embassy for an immigrant visa.

If true, what paperwork would I need to get married? What documents do I need to provide to the registrar whom intends to wed us both?
    Usually, you just need some kind of ID (e.g. a passport).

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      It is true, but whether you will be able to enter depends on whether the officer believes you will leave after marrying instead of staying and filing for Adjustment of Status.

Your spouse will file an I-130 petition for you, and after that is approved, you will go through Consular Processing at the US embassy for an immigrant visa.

Usually, you just need some kind of ID (e.g. a passport).
      Well I'll be damned, this is great news. I can also get vacation time in the summer and a written letter from my chief to confirm my dates of absence and when I'm expected back at work, which I can present to the CBP officer upon entry if they ask me about marriage.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X