Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying for spouse based green card - have questions on the need for AP and EAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for spouse based green card - have questions on the need for AP and EAD

I am currently in the U.S. on an H1B visa that I past the 6 year period and I have a pending employment based green card application with a priority date of June 2018. I applied for an extension of my H1B visa late last year and I am in the process of gearing up to have it premium processed once it resumes in the next week. All of this is being handled by my employer. I expect to receive the approved petition next month and will travel outside the US to get the H1B stamp.

I am also working on a family based green card application based on my marriage to a US citizen. I'm still reading up on the whole process and was confused about AP and EAD and I was wondering if someone could clarify.

- Based on what I've been reading, if I have a valid H1B stamp on my passport (which I will after I go for stamping), it is better to enter the US using the H1B. Is that correct?
    - Do I even need to apply for AP? Should I just go ahead and apply for it when I apply for my GC?
    - What about the EAD? Do I need to apply for one if I have my H1B visa? SHould I just go ahead and apply for it when I file the other forms?
    - Will there be any issues because I have an employment based green card application pending? Is there anything I need to do in relation to that? Will getting the EAD void my H1B visa?
    - I have a past overstay - I stayed in the U.S 2 months past the expiration of my I94 because I didn't notice it expired early - as soon as it was identified, I left the U.S. immediately and got a new visa stamp without any issues - is that something I should be concerned about now? I was planning on doing the green card application myself but does anyone thing I need a lawyer because of this?
    - We've been married a little under 2 years but have only been living together for 9 months or so - and we didn't really have a ceremony - we did went to the courthouse and got married. Is that an issue? We have joint back accounts, joint tax returns, a joint lease on our apartment, etc.
    Last edited by NYC2India; 02-14-2019, 01:17 PM.

Originally posted by NYC2India View Post
    I am currently in the U.S. on an H1B visa that I past the 6 year period and I have a pending employment based green card application with a priority date of June 2018. I applied for an extension of my H1B visa late last year and I am in the process of gearing up to have it premium processed once it resumes in the next week. All of this is being handled by my employer. I expect to receive the approved petition next month and will travel outside the US to get the H1B stamp.

I am also working on a family based green card application based on my marriage to a US citizen. I'm still reading up on the whole process and was confused about AP and EAD and I was wondering if someone could clarify.

- Based on what I've been reading, if I have a valid H1B stamp on my passport (which I will after I go for stamping), it is better to enter the US using the H1B. Is that correct?
    Probably

- Do I even need to apply for AP? Should I just go ahead and apply for it when I apply for my GC?
    - What about the EAD? Do I need to apply for one if I have my H1B visa? SHould I just go ahead and apply for it when I file the other forms?
    Both I-765 for EAD and I-131 for Advance Parole are free for I-485 applicants. So there is no downside to applying for them even if you don't plan to use them. You will have the option just in case.

- Will there be any issues because I have an employment based green card application pending? Is there anything I need to do in relation to that?
    I don't think there will be any issues.

Will getting the EAD void my H1B visa?
    No. Only if you actually work outside of H1b would you lose H1b status.

- I have a past overstay - I stayed in the U.S 2 months past the expiration of my I94 because I didn't notice it expired early - as soon as it was identified, I left the U.S. immediately and got a new visa stamp without any issues - is that something I should be concerned about now?
    No. Having been out of status does not affect AOS in your category.

I was planning on doing the green card application myself but does anyone thing I need a lawyer because of this?
    no

- We've been married a little under 2 years but have only been living together for 9 months or so - and we didn't really have a ceremony - we did went to the courthouse and got married. Is that an issue? We have joint back accounts, joint tax returns, a joint lease on our apartment, etc.
    shouldn't be an issue

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikhelesh
      How to be eligible for a green card? I have a friend live in Miami, Florida, USA. Have been working over 6 years. But still doesn't get a green card.
      I don't think his time in the U.S. has anything to do with it - he needs to find someone to sponsor his green card - either an employer or a USC or GCH spouse.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X