Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditions with which USCIS will expedite EAD

Hi all,

I am currently on F-1 visa, will be filing I130, I485, and I765 in the next week or two.

I have read stories about how EAD was delayed for many but not for others, and some asked for a expedited review and got it and some didn't.

My question is: what kind of reasons do you think USCIS would be ok with to allow a quick review? Suppose I can prove the following things:

- A nonprofit that agrees to hire me will write a letter supporting my request for an expedited process, and not allowing me to start work will be detrimental to their operation
    - My US citizen spouse has been relying on my income and not being able to work would really negatively affect our welfare and that of our child?

Would the two reasons above be enough for them to agree to expedite the EAD?

Thx

Originally posted by hopeful_pro View Post
    Hi all,

I am currently on F-1 visa, will be filing I130, I485, and I765 in the next week or two.

I have read stories about how EAD was delayed for many but not for others, and some asked for a expedited review and got it and some didn't.

My question is: what kind of reasons do you think USCIS would be ok with to allow a quick review? Suppose I can prove the following things:

- A nonprofit that agrees to hire me will write a letter supporting my request for an expedited process, and not allowing me to start work will be detrimental to their operation
    - My US citizen spouse has been relying on my income and not being able to work would really negatively affect our welfare and that of our child?

Would the two reasons above be enough for them to agree to expedite the EAD?

Thx
    Check this link: https://www.uscis.gov/us-visa-and-im...edite-criteria

Typically, USCIS does not consider personal financial hardship and temporal unemployment as an expedition reason, this really depends on USCIS officer who took the expedition request. This really sucks and unfair, but what can we do? All we can do is just trying as much as possible.
    For financial loss of company, you need a letter or any document to prove that how your absence will create the financial loss to company. You need to ask your future company to write such letter with sign of your future boss. But usually this is not easy option to get.

I submitted expedition request via my state congressperson office for 3 reasons:
    1) My EAD is outside of normal processing time.
    2) I'm about to lose my current position due to absence of EAD (signed letter from my boss, which mentioned they can't hold position for too long for me)
    3) Personal financial hardship (with evidences like bank statement, insurance, rent and etc)

For now, I'm just crossing my finger.
    Last edited by exsonic01; 02-14-2019, 05:25 PM.
    Concurrent NIW, Texas center (SRC)
    Aug.31.18 = Receive Date
    Sep.21.18 = Priority Date
    Dec.07.18 = Spouse biometrics done
    Jan.28.19 = Biometrics done for me
    Jan.29.19 = Fingerprint Review Was Completed
    Feb.07.19 = EAD expedition request to congressmen
    Feb.14.19 = Send expedition evidences to congressmen office

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I saw you posted your timeline in another thread.

Does anyone know whether the fact that the nonprofit organization will write a letter on my behalf will help?

Edit: I forgot to mention I also have an arrest/non-conviction (the charge was a misdemeanor) on my record.... How much longer is it going to take for them to process it?
      Last edited by hopeful_pro; 02-14-2019, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hopeful_pro View Post
        Thanks for your reply. I saw you posted your timeline in another thread.

Does anyone know whether the fact that the nonprofit organization will write a letter on my behalf will help?

Edit: I forgot to mention I also have an arrest/non-conviction (the charge was a misdemeanor) on my record.... How much longer is it going to take for them to process it?
        Regarding letter, no one can answer for you here, you need to ask them directly.

Regarding record, that I'm not sure. I think they will ask this during interview, that's for sure. But not sure if that makes a trouble during background check. You better discuss with your lawyer.
        Concurrent NIW, Texas center (SRC)
        Aug.31.18 = Receive Date
        Sep.21.18 = Priority Date
        Dec.07.18 = Spouse biometrics done
        Jan.28.19 = Biometrics done for me
        Jan.29.19 = Fingerprint Review Was Completed
        Feb.07.19 = EAD expedition request to congressmen
        Feb.14.19 = Send expedition evidences to congressmen office

Comment

You guys are on the right track. Nicely said exsonic01 !

I applied my AOS (California) and was desperate to get my EAD (my old EAD expired and I was out of work) because of a pending job offer. I first requested USCIS to expedite my case and then I immediately contacted Ombudsman and my local congresswoman representative to support me expedite my EAD as well. I wrote a cover letter stating severe financial loss (unfortunately my spouse got laid off too) and also by providing my offer letter, bank statements (my spouse's and mine), debt, car loan, living expenses, bank balance etc to all three- I went all out. After 2.5 weeks of expedite request to USCIS and also with the help of Ombudsman and congresswoman rep, I'm getting my EAD card in a weeks time.
          And yes, a supporting letter from your organization will help tremendously too.

Best practise is to ask an immigration lawyer on your arrest issues- It's worth getting a consultation and clearing all your questions for $100 or so.

I'm replying to threads of my EAD expedite experience in hope that it will help someone and encourage them to use all resources possible. Good luck everyone!
          Last edited by frustrated_duck; 03-21-2019, 01:23 AM.

Comment

My spouse and I expedited his EAD on a similar basis. I was in school at the time, he was the only one working and his employer started sending him those automated emails that said he would be terminated if he did not provide updated immigration documents (he was F1 OPT). So we requested an expedite on the basis of personal financial hardship and were told to wait for an email requesting evidence. When we got that, we wrote a cover letter to explain the situation - basically that he was providing for our family- and included 1.) the email asking for evidence 2.) the emails from his employer 3.) a letter from HR that said the same thing but it was on official letterhead and signed 4.) a letter from his boss explaining his importance to the team and how his termination would impact their work.

It was approved a week or two later, about 2.5 months after applying.

Good luck!
            2/20: Received at Chicago lockbox
            4/04: We reviewed your biometrics and are processing your case (I-765 & I-485)
            4/18: Ready to be scheduled for an interview (No notification, not updated on either site until Aug 27)
            4/19: Request to expedite EAD
            5/11: Received EAD
            6/26: Applied for Advance Parole
            8/09: Advance Parole approved
            8/29: Scheduled for Interview
            10/11: Interview
            10/12: RFE on I-130 (misplaced G28)
            10/16: Sent new G28
            10/19: Approved!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X