Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsoring B2 visa for someone I've never met

Hello,
    I'm sure there are already posts on this subject, but I am in need of some information and reassurance. I met a gentleman from Brazil last fall online, since our first message to each other, we have talked every day, and have spent hours talking about our lives, special occasions, hard times and good times. We have become extremely close, we have sent photos and videos to one another and we become closer every day.

I asked him if he's be interested in visiting me in the US for 3 months, so that we can get to know one another face to face, and since then, we have both become very excited about this opportunity. After looking into sponsoring him to visit, I realize we have some obstacles that may be in our way:

#1 - When we started talking, he was in between employers and collecting Brazilian government aid. Since I've asked him to visit me in the US, he has not sought employment, as he will be unable to sign a contract (standard in Brazil) with an employer, and he would also forfeit his aid and medical benefits. It is now February and he is planning to travel in June of this year. Because of this, I will be fully sponsoring him, including his travel and living expenses.
    #2 - The fact that we have never met, I can imagine would be a red flag with immigration?
    #3 - I only have a couple of months to get my finances in order, to present to the consulate, as he will need to apply for his visa by end of April at the latest.

He does have family in Brazil, an aunt that he takes care and is planning to return to.
    In no way are we planning for him to stay in the USA. After we meet for the 3 months, we will figure out where we want to go with our relationship, but he will be returning to Brazil after the 3 months, and I plan to purchase a round trip ticket for him.

I would appreciate any thoughts and guidance in this matter. Should we tell the consulate we are just friends? Which we are, as we have not yet defined our relationship, as we have never met. Or should we tell them the entire truth? I would have for anything to come back to bite us if we decide to move further with our relationship.

Any thoughts about how much money I need to show the consulate in my bank account? I have read $5k per person but that is a bit high, given I only have a couple of months before he applies for his visa.

Thank you in advance, I truly appreciate any guidance.
    Thanks!

This is really tricky situation. Please note that I am just trying to help others, sharing opinion & are not providing legal suggestion.

Originally posted by eloan81 View Post
    He does have family in Brazil, an aunt that he takes care and is planning to return to.
    In no way are we planning for him to stay in the USA. After we meet for the 3 months, we will figure out where we want to go with our relationship, but he will be returning to Brazil after the 3 months, and I plan to purchase a round trip ticket for him.
    Having intention to go back is one thing, but you'll need to prove that. An aunt is not considered dependent & doesn't prove strong ties with her or with home country. Not earning enough is another issue.

Should we tell the consulate we are just friends? Which we are, as we have not yet defined our relationship, as we have never met. Or should we tell them the entire truth? I would have for anything to come back to bite us if we decide to move further with our relationship.
    Showing him as your friend can also cause another issue - by saying this he'll be showing his indirect intention to marry an citizen.

Any thoughts about how much money I need to show the consulate in my bank account? I have read $5k per person but that is a bit high, given I only have a couple of months before he applies for his visa.
    Showing at least $10K for both of you is considered decent.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X