Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need my spouse for L2 extension in person?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need my spouse for L2 extension in person?

I plan to get my L1 visa to be extended at a consulate (based on existing approved petition I129S). Of course I want all my family members has their L2 to be extended as well. But do they need to travel to consulate with me? Looks like that kids don't needed since they all less than 12y.o and they were not needed be at consulate even when we had interview for L1 petition and visa first time. But what about spouse?
    There is interview waiver program, she has fits the requirements (less than 11 months, the same visa type and so on). The only different I see sometimes some consulate require it should be the same consulate who issued visa first time, some no - but there is no information available, in particular interested how things done in Toronto?

Originally posted by anxc View Post
    I plan to get my L1 visa to be extended at a consulate (based on existing approved petition I129S). Of course I want all my family members has their L2 to be extended as well. But do they need to travel to consulate with me? Looks like that kids don't needed since they all less than 12y.o and they were not needed be at consulate even when we had interview for L1 petition and visa first time. But what about spouse?
    There is interview waiver program, she has fits the requirements (less than 11 months, the same visa type and so on). The only different I see sometimes some consulate require it should be the same consulate who issued visa first time, some no - but there is no information available, in particular interested how things done in Toronto?
    Kids definitely doesn't need to attend interview. For Spouse if she is going through IWP (dropbox) then she also doesn't need to attend interview.

If needed VO will return the passports without visa & will ask you to visit embassy for interview.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Originally posted by Libra_14 View Post
      Kids definitely doesn't need to attend interview. For Spouse if she is going through IWP (dropbox) then she also doesn't need to attend interview.

If needed VO will return the passports without visa & will ask you to visit embassy for interview.
      That's exactly the question. How to know if she is eligible to apply through IWP or not before paying fee, considering consulate in Canada or Mexico? Could I simply take her passports as well as kids passports since I'm going to appear at interview in person?

Otherwise I'd apply her in her home country where she initially got a visa - but this is more complex, since prerequisite that she can use dropbox, but still need to be in home country during that submission.

Comment

That's exactly the question. How to know if she is eligible to apply through IWP or not before paying fee, considering consulate in Canada or Mexico? Could I simply take her passports as well as kids passports since I'm going to appear at interview in person?

Otherwise I'd apply her in her home country where she initially got a visa - but this is more complex, since prerequisite that she can use dropbox, but still need to be in home country during that submission.
        Which country do you belong to?

Here is the information for India:

Just to be sure, are you saying to leave your family in USA & take their passports with you outside USA for visa stamping?

You can use dropbox facility only where the previous visa was issued. At other places, you'll have to be available in person.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

Comment

Originally posted by Libra_14 View Post
          Just to be sure, are you saying to leave your family in USA & take their passports with you outside USA for visa stamping?
          Yes, family will stay in USA because the status is not expired yet (still 1 year till the end), I just need to renew my visa for me and my family. I'll appear in person at consulate, can I take kids and spouse passports with me (so, it's not really dropbox). When first time I got visa I was with my wife, but without kids at interview, just handovered all passports to VO for visa stamping.
          Now the same question, but do I need wife in person or not. For kids passports I do understand it should work because they are below 14y.o.

Comment

Yes, family will stay in USA because the status is not expired yet (still 1 year till the end), I just need to renew my visa for me and my family. I'll appear in person at consulate, can I take kids and spouse passports with me (so, it's not really dropbox). When first time I got visa I was with my wife, but without kids at interview, just handovered all passports to VO for visa stamping.
            Now the same question, but do I need wife in person or not. For kids passports I do understand it should work because they are below 14y.o.
            Okay, So the correct question is : "Does a person need to be "outside USA" to get his visa stamped at consulate? or can he/she stay in USA while the passport is sent for stamping under IWP?"

Not 100% sure, but I don't think you can do that even for your kids. Because they can surely see that in their system that a person applying for a visa is already inside USA.

Better to consult an experienced attorney, or wait for some time if anyone experienced same thing can answer.

Best of luck !!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X