N-400 Addl info of employer requested during interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N-400 Addl info of employer requested during interview

I went to N-400 Interview today. Everything went well but the officer requested that I show proof of employment with the employer who sponsored my Green Card after the Green card was approved.

When my I-485 was applied, my employer was Employer A. Employer A was acquired by Employer B before my Green card was approved. My job did not, organization structure did not change and I continued working for Employer B. I do not have any I-485 documents anymore as it's been 12 years. My Green card was approved in the same year as the acquisition.

I was checking my W-2 for the year Green card was approved. I have two W-2's one from Employer A and one from Employer B. I worked with Employer for a bit in the year after and I have W-2 from Employer B for the next year. W-2's show was Employer B after the acquistion. I don't have any other info anymore.

Even Employer B was acquired by Employer C 2 years later and Employer C is a gigantic corporation. I don't even know who to contact there. Should I provide the W-2's, a press release or do I need to hire an attorney?

ANy advice is appreciated.

You should have done this before your interview.
    I tell my students that it is better to have the information and proof needed in a file for the interview then have to do what you are doing now.

At any rate, I would ask go to the Human Resources Department of your present company. I would ask them for the contact information for acquired company B. I would then call or visit the HR department of company B and ask for the contact information of company A, your original company who got you the work green card. I would visit, write, or call them if they still exist. They usually keep records for all employees for about 7 years. If you don't have any luck with respect to tracking down these documents, wouldn't the U.S.C.I. S have them in your file when you applied for permanent residency? If all else fails, don't waste too much time. Consult and/or hire a lawyer. Ask around for a good one who will be fair and not overcharge you.

This is a good lesson for others, so thank you for your post. Many will learn from your experience, including me.

In general, bring all pertinent information and documentation to your USCIS interview. They usually ask for it on your copy of the N400 application. For example, if you are married to a U.S. citizen who has been naturalized, you must bring her naturalization document and your marriage certificate. If your spouse has been married before, you should bring her prior marriage and subsequent divorce certificates. Anything that has happened in your life that was life-changing may need documentation. Bring any supporting documents to your interview.

Work was the reason you were allowed to stay and work in the U.S. This is very important to your case.

The officer may not need all the documents that you bring, and you don't have to show them the documents unless asked. If you are asked for them, give them to the officer. This will avoid delays in the naturalization process.

Good luck!

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X