Tax-Marriage Jointly or Seperately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax-Marriage Jointly or Seperately?

If the petitioner has no income, I just wonder if its matter to file the taxes as jointly or seperately? Which one is better? Some told me that filing jointly is better its because you show that you guys are really together as a couple. Some said Marriage-seperately is better so the immigration wont think that you are taking advantage of the tax systems since you usually will get bigger tax return for jointly. Any experience guys?

Together is better

As I know everyone says jointly is way better
    Originally posted by laaaabiii View Post
    If the petitioner has no income, I just wonder if its matter to file the taxes as jointly or seperately? Which one is better? Some told me that filing jointly is better its because you show that you guys are really together as a couple. Some said Marriage-seperately is better so the immigration wont think that you are taking advantage of the tax systems since you usually will get bigger tax return for jointly. Any experience guys?

Comment

Getting a bigger tax return legally is NOT taking advantage of the tax system and immigration doesnt care about it. It does not matter either way, do whatever makes you feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by azblk View Post
        Getting a bigger tax return legally is NOT taking advantage of the tax system and immigration doesnt care about it. It does not matter either way, do whatever makes you feel better.
        I agree, if they want to block people with ITIN they could do that (just like they did with the Child Tax Credit).

Edit: Thank you newacct
        Last edited by Enub4; 02-23-2019, 10:21 PM. Reason: Exactly what newacct wrote
        Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
        Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
        Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
        ---
        All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

What do you mean by blocking with child tax credit? I?m just curious cause I?ve never heard anything like that
          Originally posted by Enub4 View Post
          I agree, if they want to block people with ITIN they could do that (just like they did with the Child Tax Credit).

Comment

Originally posted by UA21 View Post
            What do you mean by blocking with child tax credit? I?m just curious cause I?ve never heard anything like that
            Starting in the 2018 tax year, you can only claim the $2000 child tax credit for a given tax year for a child for whom an SSN has been issued before the tax filing deadline for that year. (You can still get the $500 tax credit for other types of dependents for a child who does not meet this condition.)

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Oh I see. I didn?t know this info before so thanks for the response
              Originally posted by newacct View Post
              Starting in the 2018 tax year, you can only claim the $2000 child tax credit for a given tax year for a child for whom an SSN has been issued before the tax filing deadline for that year. (You can still get the $500 tax credit for other types of dependents for a child who does not meet this condition.)

Comment

Originally posted by UA21 View Post
                Oh I see. I didn?t know this info before so thanks for the response
                I suggest you get turbotax or perhaps visit H&R block and file whichever way gives you the best return.
                We've been doing married filing seperately. Granted I dont have my GC yet but I do not see how this should affect my uscis process. It in no way should matter.
                This is my opinion, not legal advice!

AOS (c9) 2 USC 485/130/131/765
                122017 - PD
                012518 - Biometrics
                033118 - EAD/AP Combo card delivered
                062618 - "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview"
                082618 - "we scheduled an interview for your Form I-485"
                090418 - 2nd we scheduled
                091018 - first interview canceled
                092118 - Request to reschedule int
                102318 - Renewal filed EAD/AP
                030819 - EAD/AP Card in hand
                040219 - We canceled your int
                040519 - Int sched
                051419 - Interview
                053119 - approved

Comment

Call the irs, explain your situation, they will tell you how to file....thats what i did.. They suggested my husband and I file jointly even tho im not a Permanent resident.

Originally posted by boogiewoogie View Post
                  I suggest you get turbotax or perhaps visit H&R block and file whichever way gives you the best return.
                  We've been doing married filing seperately. Granted I dont have my GC yet but I do not see how this should affect my uscis process. It in no way should matter.

Comment

Don't file separately unless one of you has unique assets or debts that you intend to keep separate.

Filing jointly is WAY better for immigration purposes. Financial commingling is a bit deal for USCIS and they will wonder why you are not filing taxes the way most married couples do.
                    2/20: Received at Chicago lockbox
                    4/04: We reviewed your biometrics and are processing your case (I-765 & I-485)
                    4/18: Ready to be scheduled for an interview (No notification, not updated on either site until Aug 27)
                    4/19: Request to expedite EAD
                    5/11: Received EAD
                    6/26: Applied for Advance Parole
                    8/09: Advance Parole approved
                    8/29: Scheduled for Interview
                    10/11: Interview
                    10/12: RFE on I-130 (misplaced G28)
                    10/16: Sent new G28
                    10/19: Approved!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X