X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitor Medical Insurance Buying Tips

Before buying any insurance, you need to make sure few basic things:
    * PPO Network: Most comprehensive plans from US have PPO network. e.g., Atlas America Insurance has First Health PPO network. It has got very huge number of providers in the network(some 475,000 doctors, and 4,500 hospitals in US). Very widely recognized PPO. When you go to those providers, they will bill insurance company directly and charge you only network negotiated fee.

Whenever you buy insurance, you have to ask whether there is any network. If they say, you can go to any doctor, you have to ask "I can go to any doctor. But who is going to accept it?" If they say, everyone. Then, first ask the hospital where you have to the insurance from, where claim is going to occur and whether they would accept it, bill directly or not. If they say no, no matter what agent/insurance company says, it is not going to help you.

* Insurance card: As most of you know, whenever you go to the doctor, first thing receptionist ask is 'give me your insurance card' which you get if you buy from US. Ask any company whether they issue any such card. In absence of such thing, providers would generally be not willing to bill insurance company directly, and rarely overseas.

* Claims/administration: Even if the claims are adjusted in US, ask whether
    administrator has actual reserve of money to pay or they have to get it from insurance company first. And if later is the case, if administrator in US can't first pay you/provider until they get money from actual insurance company. And all that can take time, sometime months, and meanwhile, collection agencies may already be after you.

* Customer Support: Ask about working hours for emergencies, and for admin hours. Whether there is any toll free number, whether you have to call the insurance company overseas before going to the doctor etc.

* Coverage type: Make sure you understand whether the coverage is fixed or comprehensive. This is not explained many times. Some times, coverage is comprehensive below some age (like 55) and fixed after some age(e.g. above 55). Please clarify that first.

* Cost: While this is an important factor, please do not make it the only factor into consideration before buying it. Many times, what you pay is what you get.

* Renewal: Ask whether the plan is renewable in case you are not sure how long the person is going to stay. If the person is initially planning to stay for 6 months, and decides to extend for another 6 months, whether the policy can be renewed. (To the best of our knowledge, Indian law does not allow any insurance company in India to insure person for more than 6 months who is staying/visiting abroad.)

* Refund: Ask whether there is any refund in case of early departure from US because of whatever reason.

Also, please read https://www.insubuy.com/visitor-medi...ance-overview/ that will help you understand the process.

If someone is saying that you need to go to hospital instead of a doctor, check whether there is any outpatient benefits (such as doctor's office visit, outpatient prescription drugs, x-rays etc.) are covered or it is just hospitalization coverage.

And whichever agent you are talking to (US or India), ask them whether they are licensed insurance agent, what kind of professional experience they have. If you are buying through some travel agent in India, he may not be aware how healthcare system works here in US.

Also, from whomever you buy, ask what kind of mediation or representation or other support someone will be able to do in case of any problem later. If the agent is in India, ask how they will provide service in US.

If you have any further questions, please post them here or call us at 1-866-INSU-BUY
    Thanks & Regards
    Insubuy
    Toll Free: (866) INSUBUY
    Local: (972) 985-4400
    Fax: (972) 767-4470

I will be migrating to the USA at the end of this month to marry my fiance.

I have been researching different visitor insurance policies and I am curious - most insurance companies in the USA require applicants to furnish documents and undergo medical examinations before they approve the policies applied for. How is it that InsuBuy has no such requirement?

I am just curious and mean no offence. There've just been all kinds of horror stories of fraud by insurance companies in the past, so I just want to be extra careful.

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Comment

The plans you are referring that require medical examination, underwriting etc are long term major medical insurance plans from domestic companies for US residents. They usually provide coverage for pre-existing conditions after 6 months (depends upon the state), provide credit for prior creditable coverage among other things.

However, if you are just migrating to USA, you are not eligible for those plans in most states. That is because those companies do not want to take the risk of insuring you, not knowing about your medical history.

The visitor medical insurance plans and most other short term plans that you see on our website are not medically underwritten and do not cover pre-existing conditions. Whether something is a pre-existing condition or not is deteremined at the time of claim. That is why they do not require any medical examinations and do not ask any medical questions. You buy this type of insurance when you can't get anything else.

In other words, there is nothing wrong and nothing to be afraid about. Both work on different set of rules/principles.
      Thanks & Regards
      Insubuy

Comment

Oh, neat. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain the fundamental differences. I'll be sure to further explore the plans you offer.

Comment

Medical Insurance Question for visitor with BP PreExising condition

My father has medical insurance from ICICI LOMBARD (gold plan).
          He has preexisting BP. We want to consult with a doctor to change his BP medication.
          Apparently ICICI does not cover this outpatient cost.
          I want to know if Protection America (IMG) would cover this outpatient cost and any other diagnostic tests that the doctor may order prior to prescribing new medicines for his BP if we take it's plan or is this a pre existing condition that is not covered.

Comment

Unfortunately, Protection America will not cover that as well.

There is no plan from any company that will cover any pre-existing conditions for visitors to United States.
            Thanks & Regards
            Insubuy

Comment

65+ Dad immigrationg to US

Narendra,

Any suggestions for medical insurance for my Dad immigrating to the US? Since he is 65+ I could not find any medical insurance in the US since they limit the age to 65.

Sejnil.

Comment

Look at https://www.insubuy.com/new-immigrant-insurance/
                Thanks & Regards
                Insubuy

Comment

Thanks for the quick reponse!

Hi Narendra,

Thanks for the quick reponse. I saw that the link you sent me was for fixed and not comprehensive coverage. Is there a decent comprehensive plan for agese 65+ that I can purcahse?

Also I would like to know what exactly is meant by "pre-existing condition". I read several cases where parents have diabetes and the insurer was looking for diabetic treatment. This is for SURE a pre-existing condition.

However, say the diabetic patient has a stroke or heart attack, would this be considered a pre-existing condition?

Sejnil.

Comment

Please call me at 1-866-INSU-BUY x112.

I will guide.
                    Thanks & Regards
                    Insubuy

Comment

World Med

World Med has comprehensive plan for 70+. and is the only provider to cover more than $50000. The underwriter is AIG. However, I got lost in the websites, when I tried to see a list of providers. Does anyone have any experience with this policy? How does it fare compared to Protection America.

Comment

Yes, WorldMed is the only good plan that provides $100,000 for 70+.
                        It participates in MultiPlan PPO network.

To serach PPO network, please visit https://www.insubuy.com/worldmed/visitors-insurance/
                        Click Search Providrers
                        You will see a person standing in black pants and black shoes. Near his feet, click on the purple color link 'Search The Networks'.
                        Click on 'MultiPlan PPO' link.
                        You will see a man standing with his hands folded. Just below him, please click on 'Search Practioners' to search for doctors. Or click on 'Search Facilities' to search for hospitals.

I apologize that you have to go through so many steps to get there, but unfortunately that is how MultiPlan PPO has put their website and I have no control over it.
                        Thanks & Regards
                        Insubuy

Comment

Cashless settlement from ICICI Lombard

There are 2 options on ICICI Lombard's site cashless and reimbursement settlement. IF I go for cashless does it mean they would settle my claims with me paying just the deductibles ?

Comment

In the tips that I wrote earlier in this thread, please read the section where it mentions about 'PPO Network'.

Any company anywhere in the world can claim cashless settlement. But when you get hospitalized, you will have finally deal with them and they have to agree to bill the insurance company directly. Unless they (hospital or doctor) agree, it is not going to work out.

From what I read on their website, it seems that you have to first call them in New Delhi before visiting the doctor/hospital and they will handle everything from there. You can contact your local hospital and ask them whether they are willing to deal with people in New Delhi or they expect you to pay upfront. Whatever their answer is, that is what matters.

I hope that clarifies.

If you have any further questions, please feel free post here at any time or you can call us.
                            Thanks & Regards
                            Insubuy

Comment

Visitor insurance

My father will be joining me shortly. He had his by-pass surgery last year. He is in good health now. My question is how this condition will be covered in an visitor medical insurance. Which insurance company will be good?

Please help

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X