Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to bring wife during opt (urgent)

Hello Friends

My name is Raghuvamsi . Iam a student presently working in louisville under CPT. i will be graduting in jan 11th 2009. im applying for OPT and it gets started in jan 09. I will be getting married on 13th mar 09. i have few questions.

1. can i go to india while in opt where i will be still working?
    2. can i bring my wife? if so under what visa?

3. when should i apply for H1b visa? (after coming to usa / or can i go after apply for H1)
    4. when can she apply for visa
    4 when do i need to apply visa for my wife ? do i need to go with my wife for visa stamping?
    5. finally what are the documents that i need to take with me for my wife's visa?

Bottom Line:- which is the best possible way to bring my wife (while in opt).

kindly help me out as iam leaving to India on feb22nd for marriage. i know this is a very risky option for me. but my beautiful wife is waiting for me and i must take the risk for her. this is a way of showing my love to her. your advice is highly appreciated and kindly let me know to get an advice and im ready to follow the best possible way.

once again im very thankful to you. kindly email me at [email protected]

regards
    raghuvamsi

you're going to ...

... india after 4 months, how is this urgent ???

Comment

this is urgent because...decision pending

my fiance is in UK based on my timing she will come to india and arrange the documents for visa...or else she can extend her uk visa where she is presently working...if i say that she can come on f2 during my opt period....she wont stay back in uk anymore.....so the decision is purely time dependent....and she has to buy a ticket to india...soon

now you can understand how urgent it is?
      every body are tensed...

Comment

Your H1B ...

... I believe will go through a lottery, so you need to get yours next year now.

Once you get your H1B and you're actually married, then your spouse can get H4 Dependant visa.

For any other dependant visa, she needs to be married to you. Hope this helps.

Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Comment

OPT period is essentially F1 status and a spouse can apply for F2.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

I am also going to get married and apply for my wife's F2. But I will do that before starting OPT. (but after graduation)
            In your case, she can only apply after your wedding. You need not go with her. You will need to get I-20 for her from your school and follow standard visa procedure at your nearest consulate.
            Read some more about H1, applications are done on April 1 and your employer has to do that.

You can travel while on OPT, but you must have valid F1 visa to re-enter and a letter from employer is recommended.

Originally posted by arvamsi
            Hello Friends

My name is Raghuvamsi . Iam a student presently working in louisville under CPT. i will be graduting in jan 11th 2009. im applying for OPT and it gets started in jan 09. I will be getting married on 13th mar 09. i have few questions.

1. can i go to india while in opt where i will be still working?
            2. can i bring my wife? if so under what visa?

3. when should i apply for H1b visa? (after coming to usa / or can i go after apply for H1)
            4. when can she apply for visa
            4 when do i need to apply visa for my wife ? do i need to go with my wife for visa stamping?
            5. finally what are the documents that i need to take with me for my wife's visa?

Bottom Line:- which is the best possible way to bring my wife (while in opt).

kindly help me out as iam leaving to India on feb22nd for marriage. i know this is a very risky option for me. but my beautiful wife is waiting for me and i must take the risk for her. this is a way of showing my love to her. your advice is highly appreciated and kindly let me know to get an advice and im ready to follow the best possible way.

once again im very thankful to you. kindly email me at [email protected]

regards
            raghuvamsi
            This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

can i go without opt card

now that im applying for opt....i may not get the opt card by the time i go to india...but i have a valid f1 visa till 2011 and i have the letter from employer and i have pay stubs and will be there as i got extension from my employer....only unfortuante thing is my opt EAD card...can i go to india without that....what should i do....do i need to loose hopes for coming back ..i have a beautiful job....

Comment

Did your school not advise you to NOT travel until you get the OPT card? If they did not, consider this. If not, you can say goodbye and leave.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Remember to count the time outside the US after starting OPT as unemployment when you track the 90/120 days allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by C4us
                    Remember to count the time outside the US after starting OPT as unemployment when you track the 90/120 days allowed.
                    Are you sure?

Comment

Originally posted by arvamsi
                      now that im applying for opt....i may not get the opt card by the time i go to india...but i have a valid f1 visa till 2011 and i have the letter from employer and i have pay stubs and will be there as i got extension from my employer....only unfortuante thing is my opt EAD card...can i go to india without that....what should i do....do i need to loose hopes for coming back ..i have a beautiful job....
                      No need to lose hopes, here's what you can do.
                      EAD will be mailed to the address you put on your OPT application, so if someone else can receive your card at this address well and good. Otherwise call USCIS and get your mailing address changed to some place (in the US) where someone can receive the card for you.
                      When they receive the card ask them to mail it to you to your foreign address. Once you receive it, you are good to come back.
                      This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

help and advice needed ...!!!

Sir/Madam,
                        I am a dentist working in Andaman and Nicobar Islands. I was born and brought up in Port Blair, Andamans. I belong to the Pre-1942 category.
                        I am planning to marry a Foreigner, and she is from Republic of Georgia, East of Europe. We are planning to stay and settle in Andaman islands. Please help and guide me as to what is procedure to get her a visa for her after marriage? What kind of Visa should i take for her? Is there any limitations and restrictions for her staying in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
                        thanking u in anticipation

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X