Disclaimer: We take no responsibility for accuracy of information provided. Please use at your own risk. Do not post anything you don't want publicly visible.

Track greencard/visa apps
Immihelp Tracker
Help Others
Share Experiences
Instant Quotes & Purchase
Visitor Medical Insurance
Travel Companion
Download Mobile Apps:   iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch App    Android App

Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1

    Default Immigration question: Removing restrictions from conditional green card

    I moved to US in 2007, after my marraige with my wife who is a US citizen. Things didn't workout as we both planed and she decided that she can use my conditional residency against me, such as threatning me about it every now and then, demanding money etc. And, I recorded one such conversation on phone where she said that If i didn't give her $30,000.. She'll have me deported back.. and things kept on getting worst and wrorst.. I checked her facebook once and she was giving her number out to other men, telling them she was single, while she was married to me.

    Anyway, my question is my temporary green card expires in few months and we're still not legally divorced. What should I do? I doubt that divorce will be finalized on time. I might be already too late. Can I request some extension while the divorce case is in court? If so, how do I do that?
    Last edited by jayd; 12-01-2008 at 04:08 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006


    Get an immigration lawyer and a divorce/family law lawyer.
    Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

  3. #3


    I don't think that there is anything you can do. You are 'technically' not an immediate relative anymore, and you need your wife (the petitioner) to petition for you (the beneficiary) - like you did when you first married.

  4. #4


    Don't worry, if all the things that you mentioned are correct, then you can still remove conditions on your green card based on abuse by your US citizen spouse. because your spouse is trying to make money out of you, etc.

    But be very careful, take the immigration lawyer advise and let the lawyer present your case in proper way. It all depends how your case gets presented. any small mistake can get you deported. so make sure your lawyer is experienced and know how to present this type of case.

    good luck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts