Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marriage in US on H1B. Need to notify Indian Embassy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage in US on H1B. Need to notify Indian Embassy?

I and my fiance we both are on H1B visa in US. We want to go for a court marriage here. After the marriage, do we have to notify the Indian Embassy to register our marriage with them? I found some information on CGI Houston which says that we need to put advertisement in a US and an Indian paper as well as notify someone (Indian Embassy??) one month prior to the marriage
    "Marriage Certificate should be obtained from the Registrar of Marriage at the place of marriage/registration. The Embassy/Consulate may register and issue Marriage Certificate if the marriage was solemnized by the Consular/Marriage Officer at Embassy/Consulate under the Foreign Marriage Act of 1969 which requires advance notice in the prescribed form of at least one month, advertisement of notice of intention of marriage in newspapers at the place of residence and permanent residence under the provisions of the Act. "

Can you please clarify this for me?

You don't have to inform them.

You are not getting married at the consulate.

Have fun and don't worry unnecessarily.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Marrying in US

Hi,

I am a 26 yr old Indian girl living in California.I am on my H1B visa.I would like to get married to my boyfriend (who is also in H1B visa) in California itself. I called up the Indian consulate general and they told me to check the website : *** . I read about the Foreign marriage act of India and it says that there should be a 30 day notice period prior to the wedding. I dont understand this part.Where and to whom should we give this notice? Also , in some other websites , I read that we need to put advertisements in an Indian newspaper about the marriage , 30 days earlier .Is it true? Do we need witnesses to sign during the registration? Should the witness be a blood relative?

I would like to know if someone has experience marrying in California/US. If so , can you please tell me what is the procedure ? What are the documents required to be taken ? Will this marriage be considered valid in India , or should we again register in India?Any advice would be of great help since I am clueless how to start and whom to approach.

Thanks,
      Diya

Comment

Any advice please?

Originally posted by DiyaSharma View Post
        Hi,

I am a 26 yr old Indian girl living in California.I am on my H1B visa.I would like to get married to my boyfriend (who is also in H1B visa) in California itself. I called up the Indian consulate general and they told me to check the website : *** . I read about the Foreign marriage act of India and it says that there should be a 30 day notice period prior to the wedding. I dont understand this part.Where and to whom should we give this notice? Also , in some other websites , I read that we need to put advertisements in an Indian newspaper about the marriage , 30 days earlier .Is it true? Do we need witnesses to sign during the registration? Should the witness be a blood relative?

I would like to know if someone has experience marrying in California/US. If so , can you please tell me what is the procedure ? What are the documents required to be taken ? Will this marriage be considered valid in India , or should we again register in India?Any advice would be of great help since I am clueless how to start and whom to approach.

Thanks,
        Diya

Comment

Hi Diya,

Originally posted by DiyaSharma View Post
          Any advice please?
          We are in a similar situation now. What did you guys do finally and could you please let me know the procedure?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X